Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Change Font Properties causes Excel failure on Save

Using Excel 2003. Recently downloaded & installed SP3. On executing a
statement similar to Cells.Font.Name = "Time New Roman" (font name is
unimportant) the sheet updates properly. However, ever since the SP3 update,
any attempt to save the workbook results in a message to the effect that
Excel is sorry but it has encountered an error and has to shut down. I can
even get the same thing to happen by selecting a couple dozen rows and
columns on a worksheet and changing the font by using the menu. However, I
can change the font name for small quantities of cells and save the worksheet
without a problem. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Is this a
known issue for SP3? Is there a workaround for this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think I would uninstall the SP3 pack until I could figure out the problem.
It could be a corrupted file. If you uninstall and everything works OK.
Reinstall it and see if it does the same thing. Then you know it is the SP3
pack causing the problem. In the mean time, Google the web for any bugs
associated with SP3.

"rray" wrote:

Using Excel 2003. Recently downloaded & installed SP3. On executing a
statement similar to Cells.Font.Name = "Time New Roman" (font name is
unimportant) the sheet updates properly. However, ever since the SP3 update,
any attempt to save the workbook results in a message to the effect that
Excel is sorry but it has encountered an error and has to shut down. I can
even get the same thing to happen by selecting a couple dozen rows and
columns on a worksheet and changing the font by using the menu. However, I
can change the font name for small quantities of cells and save the worksheet
without a problem. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Is this a
known issue for SP3? Is there a workaround for this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would give that a try, but the SP3 upgrade cannot be removed.

"rray" wrote:

Using Excel 2003. Recently downloaded & installed SP3. On executing a
statement similar to Cells.Font.Name = "Time New Roman" (font name is
unimportant) the sheet updates properly. However, ever since the SP3 update,
any attempt to save the workbook results in a message to the effect that
Excel is sorry but it has encountered an error and has to shut down. I can
even get the same thing to happen by selecting a couple dozen rows and
columns on a worksheet and changing the font by using the menu. However, I
can change the font name for small quantities of cells and save the worksheet
without a problem. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Is this a
known issue for SP3? Is there a workaround for this problem?

Excel Properties Tab on Doc Save abet_72 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 July 28th 08 08:21 PM
Failure at File Save Paige Excel Programming 1 April 10th 07 04:52 PM
Save failure after VBA macro Macrophile05 Excel Programming 2 August 5th 05 02:45 PM
save failure Ken Excel Programming 2 November 17th 03 07:25 PM
Character.Font Properties. Paul M.[_2_] Excel Programming 0 July 31st 03 03:31 AM