Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default New to Excel programming

Hi

I am working on a project where I need to do some Excel programming,
while I have programming experience I have never done it in Excel
before and I have some questions that I hope you could help me with.

What is the best way to save data (the value of variables) in the
workbook so that I can retrieve them when I open the document the next
time? I have found the CustomProperties property of the Worksheets and
I was wondering if there was some better way.

Can I remove an object from the CustomProperties collection?

How do I add a newline to a string? The best I could do was to use the
String(1, 10).

Can someone explain the difference between a class and a module? Is a
module kind of like a C++ namespace?

It is possible to pass arguments by reference, is it also possible to
declare variables that are references or is that dependent on their
type?

It seems like it is not possible to add a user-defined type to a
Collection, is that true and what is the solution? Currently I do not
use UDTs instead I make all of them classes instead, considering that
most of them only contain a few public variables I get a lot of small
classes this way, is there a better way of doing things?

And lastly a kind of off-topic question that someone might have the
answer to: What is the best way to communicate between Excel and
MATLAB? I currently use COM, are there any better way?

--
Erik Wikström

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Nov 10, 5:39 am, "Bill Renaud"
wrote:

[snip]

Thanks to both you and JMB for your answers.

--
Erik Wikström

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

And lastly a kind of off-topic question that someone might have the
answer to: What is the best way to communicate between Excel and
MATLAB? I currently use COM, are there any better way?

Try searching this forum and Matlab's with google groups.

I remember a colleague of mine who managed to control Excel quite
extensively from Matlab with ActiveX programming; I know it's
possible, but I don't remember the details, sorry.