Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default "Or" statement not working

This Macro excerpt is based on a "Check Cell Content before continuing..."
discussion with Bill Renaud back in October.

I works great (thanks Bill) with one exception.

If the cells are changed in reverse order of my "Or" statements (Conditions
3, & 2 are met first) then the Macro continues even though the 1st condition
has not been met.

Every other combination works.

Thanks in advance for any help on this. (Code Below)

'/// Check for Required Fields (Project Number)
If Range("Q44").Value = "Fill in..." Or _
Range("F47").Value = Range("AB2").Value Or _
Range("H56").Value = Range("AH2").Value _
Then
MsgBox "Please fill in the Abbreviation, Project Type, Class, and
Application Date fields (blue font with an *)", _
vbCritical + vbOKOnly, _
"You have not filled in all the fields required to generate a
complete project number."
Exit Sub
Else
'Do macro.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I just tested this and it worked fine. Perhaps you don't want = but do want
< (NOT equal)

Sub checkit()
If Range("h8").Value = "F" Or _
Range("h6").Value = Range("h7").Value Or _
Range("h4").Value = Range("H2").Value _
Then
MsgBox "dont do it"
Exit Sub
Else
MsgBox "doit"
'Do macro.

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
If any of these conditions exist, then I want the message. Only if all are
met do I want to continue the macro. I believe that means I need an "or"
function.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Do you want AND instead of OR?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank You, that does appear to work.

Another solution I came up with was to simply add an "IF(OR..." function, in
a variables area, that provides a Yes/No output. I then changed the "If"
statement in my code to look only at that cell. (If Range("BZ28").Value =
"NO" _)

Now I need to decide which will make more sense to me when I try to edit
this in 6 months.

Thanks again,
Christopher McCune

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
If any of these conditions exist, then I want the message. Only if all are
met do I want to continue the macro. I believe that means I need an "or"
function.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Do you want AND instead of OR?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would stay within the macro but if you insist on doing that why not one
cell
if(a=a,1,0)+if(b=b,1,0)
then
if range("a2")<3 then msgbox "bad boy"

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
If any of these conditions exist, then I want the message. Only if all
are
met do I want to continue the macro. I believe that means I need an
"or"
function.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Do you want AND instead of OR?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Chris,

Sounds like you are still having basic logic problems. In this situation, I
normally revert back to a "truth table" concept to sort out all of the
combinations before attempting to write the program. It would be something
like this (using 'short-form' notation):

Situation Action
---------------------- --------
Q44.Value="Fill in..." MsgBox
F47 is empty MsgBox
H56 is empty MsgBox
F47.Value=AB2.Value Do macro
H56.Value=AH2.Value Do macro

Remember that empty cells are considered to be 0, so if F47 is empty
(hasn't been filled in by the user yet) and AB2 =0, then they will be
considered equal by Excel. Complete the table as I have suggested above and
post it here, then we'll be able to fix the logic.

I'm suspecting that you probably need a separate If statement to check the
value of Q44 first and display the MsgBox, regardless of the state of the
other 2 cells. The situation with the other 2 cells (F47 and H56) is
probably more complex. You might need a separate Boolean variable to keep
track of everything, then finally show the MsgBox and exit if the Boolean
variable (blnShowMsgBox?) is TRUE.

Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Never mind the post immediately above; it is incomplete. I should have
expanded it out to something like the following (hyphen means "don't
care"):

Q44 F47 H56 Action
-------------- ----- ----- ------
="Fill in..." - - MsgBox
- empty - MsgBox
- - empty MsgBox
- =AB2 - MsgBox
- - =AH2 MsgBox
<"Fill in..." <AB2 <AH2 Do macro

Chris T-M wrote (in another post):
<<If any of these conditions exist, then I want the message. Only if all
are met do I want to continue the macro.

This appears to be contradictory. If any conditions exist (OR), then show
the message. If all are met (AND) then do the macro. This does not make
sense to me.

As an alternative, I sometimes use a program structure like the following
(or declare ShowMsgBox to be an error handler and use Err.Raise):

'----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub CheckCellContent()
Dim strMsgBox As String

If Range("Q44").Value = "Fill in..." Then GoTo ShowMsgBox
If IsEmpty(Range("F47")) Then GoTo ShowMsgBox
If IsEmpty(Range("H56")) Then GoTo ShowMsgBox

If OtherConditions _
Then
'Do macro.
End If

GoTo ExitSub

ShowMsgBox:
strMsgBox = "You have not filled in all" & vbNewLine & _
"fields required to generate" & vbNewLine & _
"a complete project number." & vbNewLine & _
vbNewLine & _
"Please fill in the Abbreviation," & vbNewLine & _
"Project Type, Class, and Application" & vbNewLine & _
"Date fields (blue font with an *)."

MsgBox strMsgBox, _
vbCritical + vbOKOnly, _
"Incomplete Project Number"
ExitSub:

Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The Function I placed in "BZ28" was...

=IF(OR(Q44="Fill in€¦",Q44=0,F47=AB2,H56=AH2,L47=0),"NO","YES")

....and works without error, but I am still at a loss as to why logic that
works as a function, doesn't work in a Macro (programming language asside),
but as I am new to VBA I suppose I'll just have to reset my thought process
for VBA.

Thanks again, Chris T-M

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
If any of these conditions exist, then I want the message. Only if all
are
met do I want to continue the macro. I believe that means I need an
"or"
function.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Do you want AND instead of OR?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK you lost me. Did I mention I am new to VBA?
That being said, the logic I used in the Macro works if used as a Function,
so why wouldn't it work in a Macro (programming language asside)?

Regardless of my understanding, setting this up as an "On Error GoTo..."
does work.

As for my previous contridiction, I appologize. What I meant to say was:
If any are true, then show message.
If all are false, then do macro.

For the Macro Logic (broken out):
If Range("Q44").Value = "Fill in..." Then GoTo ShowMsgBox
If Range("F47").Value = Range("AB2").Value Then GoTo ShowMsgBox
If Range("H56").Value = Range("AH2").Value Then GoTo ShowMsgBox

The Value = Value cells are text values. Both effectively contain
instructions for what data is desired unless one of them is filled in. If one
is filled in, then I can concatelate a statement such as "The name of the new
project is" "NewProj".

Thank you for the additional advice,
Chris T-M

"Bill Renaud" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Your original did what you asked it to. You were just asking the wrong thing
so you got a wrong answer.
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

=

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
If any of these conditions exist, then I want the message. Only if
all
are
met do I want to continue the macro. I believe that means I need an
"or"
function.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Do you want AND instead of OR?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

<<OK you lost me.
Where did we lose you? (We are the ones that are lost!!! :) )

<<...the logic I used in the Macro works if used as a Function, so why
wouldn't it work in a Macro?
I think you have this backwards. In general, everything will work in a
macro, but will not necessarily work in a function. For example, you can
set other cells (run your macro after deciding that everything is OK),
insert new worksheets into the workbook, run other commands, but you can't
do those things if the function were called from a formula in a worksheet
cell.

<<What I meant to say was:
If any are true, then show message.
If all are false, then do macro.

Then the logic in your original post should work, as that is exactly what
it does. It will check all 3 conditions, and if ANY of the 3 are TRUE, then
it will display the MsgBox and exit. So, if Q44 has some other value in it
(i.e. "Project X"), but F47 is equal to AB2, then your macro will run (the
Else part of the If statement).

If Range("Q44").Value = "Fill in..." Or _
Range("F47").Value = Range("AB2").Value Or _
Range("H56").Value = Range("AH2").Value _
Then
MsgBox ...
Exit Sub
Else
'Do macro.
Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It is the text "Fill in..." The first letter capitalized, the rest lower
case, and 3 periods, copied from the cell into the Macro using Ctrl+C, &
Ctrl+V. There is also conditional formatting to set the color if the cell no
longer says "Fill in..." or is blank, and a Validation - Input Message.

(PS: Replying to me at 10:30 on a Friday night seems above & beyond the call
of duty, but I do appreciate it.)

"Bill Renaud" wrote:

OK, what is the formula (or complete value) in Range("Q44")?

Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

New to VBA. Please explain what a TRIM issue is. MS VB Help didn't provide an
explanation I understood how to apply.

FYI: Looking at the text again for a space, I noticed that my cursur jumped
all 3 periods together. I've seen MS Word "fix" typing like this, but could
this be why a macro isn't seeing "..." (presumably one character), and "..."
(three characters) as the same?
Chrs T-M

"Don Guillett" wrote:

You may have a TRIM issue?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Bill Renaud" wrote:

OK, what is the formula (or complete value) in Range("Q44")?

Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

<<Please explain what a TRIM issue is.

Using the TRIM worksheet function to strip out extra spaces in a text
string. See the TRIM worksheet function in Excel Help.

Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

<<Please explain what a TRIM issue is.
I forgot to also mention that there are several TRIM functions in the
Strings class in VBA. Open the Object Browser, type Trim in the Search Text
drop-down combo box, select any of the Members returned in the Search
Results pane, and click <F1 to bring up VBA Help on that Member.

For example, the Strings class has the following Members:
LTrim
LTrim$
RTrim
RTrim$
Trim
Trim$

The Excel WorksheetFunction class has the following Members:
Trim
TrimMean (not applicable in this situation)

Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don,

Since my last post, I have confirmed that the OR statement was working, but
that the cell value of condition 1 was not what I thought it was. As
mentioned in the "FYI" in my last post, "..." in the cell was converted by
Excel (Options, Spelling, AutoCorrect, Replace Text as you Type) to a single
character inclusive of the 3 periods. When copied into my Macro, the "..."
reverted back to 3 characters. Therefore, the Macro saw them as different and
returned a "False", allowing the Macro to continue as programmed.

I appreciate all your support, and great advice on this,
Regards,
Chris T-M

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Send me a file to the address below along with snippets of these messages
and exactly what you want.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Chris T-M" wrote in message
New to VBA. Please explain what a TRIM issue is. MS VB Help didn't provide
an
explanation I understood how to apply.

FYI: Looking at the text again for a space, I noticed that my cursur
jumped
all 3 periods together. I've seen MS Word "fix" typing like this, but
could
this be why a macro isn't seeing "..." (presumably one character), and
"..."
(three characters) as the same?
Chrs T-M

"Don Guillett" wrote: