Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Programming Excel to send emails

Hi,

I've never programmed Excel before. Before I start learning about the
subject, I just wanted to check to see if what I want to do is actually
possible.

I am designing an Excel sheet to track the usage of several marketing
newsletters.

These newsletters are subject to strict caps on their budget and word
counts. Each newsletter has its own worksheet. The three main columns in each
worksheet show the name/subject of each article, the department that
commissioned it and the word count of that article.

I want Excel to track the department and word count columns. When the word
count hits, or goes over, the maximum allowed Excel should send a warning
email to relevant stakeholders (the managing editor, the publisher and so
on).

In the ideal scenario, the warning email would state the following:

1. The newsletter x has hit/gone over word count.
2. The breakdown of the total word count is as follows:
a. Marketing xxx words
b. Sales xxx words
c. Product managers xxx words

So, my questions:

1. Can I program Excel to send out an email triggered by the sum of a column
reaching a certain amount?
2. Can I get Excel to give this kind of breakdown of data in the email?

If anyone can tell me whether this is possible, Id be very grateful.

Thanks

Karl