Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Setting up Excel (2003) to handle users with different editing abilities

I would greatly appreciate it if one could give me some code to start me
off as I'm fairly new to macroing.
I want to set a spreadsheet up so that the first thing they get after opening
it is a prompt to enter a password which I'll set and control. There are 2
editors of this spreadsheet and each has their own columns to update. If user1
enters password "abcd" into the popup window, the spreadsheet sets up so that
they can insert new rows but cannot enter anything into Col D and Col E.
If user2 enters password "efgh" into the popup window, the spreadsheet sets up
so that they can insert/create new rows but cannot enter anything into Cols
A:C.

Is this relatively easy to do?

Thanks, Alan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Setting up Excel (2003) to handle users with different editing abi

A better way would be to capture their network (Active Directory IDs) when
they open the spreadsheet. This is easy to do and I can send code if you're
interested. You wouldn't have to maintain any passwords this way--the
spreadsheet would know who had opened it. You can use the ID in code to
control who can do what.

"Alan" wrote:

I would greatly appreciate it if one could give me some code to start me
off as I'm fairly new to macroing.
I want to set a spreadsheet up so that the first thing they get after opening
it is a prompt to enter a password which I'll set and control. There are 2
editors of this spreadsheet and each has their own columns to update. If user1
enters password "abcd" into the popup window, the spreadsheet sets up so that
they can insert new rows but cannot enter anything into Col D and Col E.
If user2 enters password "efgh" into the popup window, the spreadsheet sets up
so that they can insert/create new rows but cannot enter anything into Cols
A:C.

Is this relatively easy to do?

Thanks, Alan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Allen,

I think you can only have one password. However, you can get the user
name and lock the required columns.

In Excel 2000, you could put this function in a general module and
call it from the worksheet module where you want to lock the columns.

Function User()
User = Application.UserName
End Function

This function works, but I haven't tested the rest of it.

Dan Dungan

On Oct 23, 3:13 pm, (Alan) wrote:
I would greatly appreciate it if one could give me some code to start me
off as I'm fairly new to macroing.
I want to set a spreadsheet up so that the first thing they get after opening
it is a prompt to enter a password which I'll set and control. There are 2
editors of this spreadsheet and each has their own columns to update. If user1
enters password "abcd" into the popup window, the spreadsheet sets up so that
they can insert new rows but cannot enter anything into Col D and Col E.
If user2 enters password "efgh" into the popup window, the spreadsheet sets up
so that they can insert/create new rows but cannot enter anything into Cols
A:C.