Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Should Be Empty Cells

I have a worksheet that looks up information using an IF formula and
enters blank in the cell if the text doesn't match:

IF(A2 = "THIS TEXT","THIS TEXT","")

The problem I'm having is after all the text & blanks are determined
and after I paste special values, the cells are not actually blank. I
mean there is nothing in the cells but for some reason excel thinks it
is and my delete rows macro doesn't work because it tells me no empty
cells can be found and even when I sort, it puts the blank cells at
the top. When I click on & off each cell it then makes the cell blank.

Can anyone tell be how to delete these null rows or make the cells so
they are actually blank?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You need to examine the actual contents of the cell, content that may not be
visible characters. You can use my Cell View add in to see what is really
lurking in the cells that appear empty.
http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/CellView.aspx

"Darrell Lankford" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a worksheet that looks up information using an IF formula and
enters blank in the cell if the text doesn't match:

IF(A2 = "THIS TEXT","THIS TEXT","")

The problem I'm having is after all the text & blanks are determined
and after I paste special values, the cells are not actually blank. I
mean there is nothing in the cells but for some reason excel thinks it
is and my delete rows macro doesn't work because it tells me no empty
cells can be found and even when I sort, it puts the blank cells at
the top. When I click on & off each cell it then makes the cell blank.

Can anyone tell be how to delete these null rows or make the cells so
they are actually blank?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If a cell has a formula in it, it's not blank, and the only way to make
it "actually blank" is to delete the formula...

Don't know what method your macro uses, but you could try checking for

rCell.Value = vbNullString

instead of blank.

In article . com,
Darrell Lankford wrote:

I have a worksheet that looks up information using an IF formula and
enters blank in the cell if the text doesn't match:

IF(A2 = "THIS TEXT","THIS TEXT","")

The problem I'm having is after all the text & blanks are determined
and after I paste special values, the cells are not actually blank. I
mean there is nothing in the cells but for some reason excel thinks it
is and my delete rows macro doesn't work because it tells me no empty
cells can be found and even when I sort, it puts the blank cells at
the top. When I click on & off each cell it then makes the cell blank.

Can anyone tell be how to delete these null rows or make the cells so
they are actually blank?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Darrell Lankford wrote:

I have a worksheet that looks up information using an IF formula and
enters blank in the cell if the text doesn't match:

IF(A2 = "THIS TEXT","THIS TEXT","")

The problem I'm having is after all the text & blanks are determined
and after I paste special values, the cells are not actually blank. I
mean there is nothing in the cells but for some reason excel thinks it
is and my delete rows macro doesn't work because it tells me no empty
cells can be found and even when I sort, it puts the blank cells at
the top. When I click on & off each cell it then makes the cell blank.

Can anyone tell be how to delete these null rows or make the cells so
they are actually blank?- Hide quoted text -

I set the code up so it would set up the AutoFilter, show blanks only,
delete blanks, and then show all. I'm sure it's a better way to get
rid of the blank cells, but this works. When I catch up with my
workload, I'll take a look at other options.
Thanks,
Darrell