Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default CONCATENATE with CHAR(10) IF NOT ISBLANK

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me why this formula will not work? I do not get any
error messages. The formula is displayed in the cell as its value.

=CONCATENATE(OFFSET(RC, 0, 0), IF(ISBLANK(OFFSET(RC, 0, 4)), "",
CHAR(10)), OFFSET(RC, 0, 4), IF(ISBLANK(OFFSET(RC, 0, 8)), "",
CHAR(10)), OFFSET(RC, 0, 8))

I appreciate any effort to help me. Thank you for your time and
consideration.

Sincerely,

Sisilla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The only problem I see is that, when entered in a cell, using

OFFSET(RC, 0, 0)

creates a circular reference. I also wonder why you're using the
overhead of OFFSET() rather than

=CONCATENATE(RC, IF(ISBLANK(RC[4]), "", CHAR(10)), RC[4],
IF(ISBLANK(RC[8]), "", CHAR(10)), RC[8])

In article . com,
Sisilla wrote:

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me why this formula will not work? I do not get any
error messages. The formula is displayed in the cell as its value.

=CONCATENATE(OFFSET(RC, 0, 0), IF(ISBLANK(OFFSET(RC, 0, 4)), "",
CHAR(10)), OFFSET(RC, 0, 4), IF(ISBLANK(OFFSET(RC, 0, 8)), "",
CHAR(10)), OFFSET(RC, 0, 8))

I appreciate any effort to help me. Thank you for your time and
consideration.

Sincerely,

Sisilla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Good chance that the cell with the formula showing was pre-formatted as text.

Format to General and hit F2 then ENTER.

If all formulas are showing then try hitting the toggle key for "show formulas"

CTRL + ` backquote above Tab key

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:30:15 -0700, Sisilla wrote:

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me why this formula will not work? I do not get any
error messages. The formula is displayed in the cell as its value.

=CONCATENATE(OFFSET(RC, 0, 0), IF(ISBLANK(OFFSET(RC, 0, 4)), "",
CHAR(10)), OFFSET(RC, 0, 4), IF(ISBLANK(OFFSET(RC, 0, 8)), "",
CHAR(10)), OFFSET(RC, 0, 8))

I appreciate any effort to help me. Thank you for your time and
consideration.

Sincerely,

Sisilla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you, Gord and JE both. I've corrected the circular reference and
reformatted the cell, and now I am getting a formula error. Can you
spot anything else wrong with my formula? I appreciate any further
advice. Thanks!
-Sisilla

On Oct 17, 11:59 am, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
Good chance that the cell with the formula showing was pre-formatted as text.

Format to General and hit F2 then ENTER.

If all formulas are showing then try hitting the toggle key for "show formulas"

CTRL + ` backquote above Tab key

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:30:15 -0700, Sisilla wrote:
Hello All,

Can anyone tell me why this formula will not work? I do not get any
error messages. The formula is displayed in the cell as its value.

=CONCATENATE(OFFSET(RC, 0, 0), IF(ISBLANK(OFFSET(RC, 0, 4)), "",
CHAR(10)), OFFSET(RC, 0, 4), IF(ISBLANK(OFFSET(RC, 0, 8)), "",
CHAR(10)), OFFSET(RC, 0, 8))

I appreciate any effort to help me. Thank you for your time and
consideration.

Sincerely,

Sisilla- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you, Gord and JE both. I've reformatted the cell and fixed the
circular reference, and now I get an error message. Can you spot
anything else wrong with the formula? I appreciate any further advice.
Thanks! -Sisilla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you JE and Gord both. I fixed the circular reference and
reformatted the cell, and now I get a formula error message. Can you