Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default concatenate, char(10), and double quotes

A1=hello, A2=world

Both of the following formulas:
=concatenate(A1,char(10),A2)
=A1&char(10)&A2
return

"hello
world"

when pasted into a text file. Is there a way to get rid of the double
quotes? For what it's worth, char(13) gives the same results.

TIA.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Was this question unclear? Or are there just no solutions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'd guess that no one who read it had a solution to share.

But maybe it depends on what you're using for your text editor program.

I got the quotes in NotePad and UltraEdit. But if I pasted into MSWord, then
the quotation marks didn't appear.

And I could copy from MSWord and paste into NotePad without the quotation marks.

Maybe it's time to do some experimenting with other text editors????

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I never thought to try MS Word Dave; that's good thinking. I always use a
plain text editor so I don't have to worry about funky formats. The fact that
the quotes don't show up in MS Word indicate (to me) that this is one of
those funky format situations. If that's the case, it would probably be
easiest (in my situation) to live with the quotes and delete them manually or
use MS Word.

While looking for a solution to this bug/feature, I saw a lot of folks
facing the same situation but their circumstances were quite different. They
were trying to generate code (e.g. SQL) whereas this is simply a convenience
issue for me. I'll keep my eye open for a more elegant solution but won't
lose any sleep over it. Thanks again for your input Dave.

.....steve