Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help on IE Object for Excel

Hi,

On another post I found out that I need a IE object to perform the web query
that I want. I have NO experience on how to right it. Here is what I'm trying
to do:

1. access the following intranet page:
http://eqos.ssc.trw.com/bess/Default.aspx
2. On this page, click on "Login" link, that takes me to the following page:
https://eqos.ssc.trw.com/BESS/DefaultLoginPage.aspx
3. Then I enter my user name on a box, my password in another box and click
on "Log in"
4. Then, I go back to the http://eqos.ssc.trw.com/bess/Default.aspx page,
but now I see my name on the top of the page indicating that I'm logged in.
5. On this page, I click on a button called "HR" which takes me to this
page: http://eqos.ssc.trw.com/BESS/metrics...mmaryView.aspx
6. On this page I click on a HR Metric called "General Turnover" that takes
me to http://eqos.ssc.trw.com/BESS/metrics...rendChart.aspx, and on here
I select from a drop down menu the option "By Organization", which takes me
to http://eqos.ssc.trw.com/BESS/metrics...anization.aspx
7. Then on this page I click on "Expand All" so I can see the complete list
of sites that we have (around 160). Now I see all the sites' information for
the metric General Turnover. And now this is the table I want to export but I
can't!

The big thing is that I have 13 metrics that I need to do this. That means
that, after I perform steps 1-7 above, I need to change the metric on that
last page I referred by clicking on the metric I want, for example
"Absenteeism", and the table is updated with the absenteeism information for
all the sites.

So now, I kind of need to do steps 1-7 then copy and paste tables 13 times!
Do you now of a way, if there is any, to do this automatically? I've talked
to my IT people and they will not work on a report that I can just download
data from all the metrics at once. HELP!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Oct 15, 5:26 am, Matheus wrote:
[...]

me tohttp://eqos.ssc.trw.com/BESS/metrics/MetricTrendChart.aspx, and on here
I select from a drop down menu the option "By Organization", which takes me
tohttp://eqos.ssc.trw.com/BESS/metrics/MetricViewByOrganization.aspx
7. Then on this page I click on "Expand All" so I can see the complete list
of sites that we have (around 160). Now I see all the sites' information for
the metric General Turnover. And now this is the table I want to export but I
can't!

The big thing is that I have 13 metrics that I need to do this. That means
that, after I perform steps 1-7 above, I need to change the metric on that
last page I referred by clicking on the metric I want, for example
"Absenteeism", and the table is updated with the absenteeism information for
all the sites.

So now, I kind of need to do steps 1-7 then copy and paste tables 13 times!
Do you now of a way, if there is any, to do this automatically? I've talked
to my IT people and they will not work on a report that I can just download
data from all the metrics at once. HELP!!!

Hi :)

I'm working on something else entirely but it involves sending data to
IE (A registration process where the same/similar data is keyed into
multiple intranet sites and programs.) In my searching so far I have
not seen a single example that allows you to retrieve information from
a webpage you have navigated to using VBA. Everything seems to be
tailored to sending information to the other application such as IE.

I'll be keeping a keen eye on any guru responses to this question
though.

As an aside, your IT people have said the metric data can be
downloaded at once, is it not easier to download that data and work
some magic on the raw data to update your tables?

Hope you get a detailed response from someone in the know.

Erazmus.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Erazmus,

Since most of the programmatic web page access is happening via javascript,
your best bet to pick this up is going to be hanging out in the javascript
newsgroups. The main challenge is learning the HTML Document Object Model
and how to interact with it: translation from javascript to VBA is not too
difficult.

Still, if you have specific questions you might still pose them here...

Tim

oups.com...