Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default xl2007

How can I control xl2007 ribbons, are they the same as commandbars? Are the
settings held in an xlb file? Is there a switch to turn them on/off?

Many thanks

------------
Nigel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There is probably a Visible property somewhere that you set to TRUE or
FALSE.

In Excel 2000, the line of code (to hide a commandbar) is:

Application.CommandBars("My CommandBar").Visible = False

Turn on the macro recorder and see what happens.
Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There isn't a great deal you can do with the Ribbon using VBA. Any
CommandBars you created in an earlierr version of Excel will be displayed
under anAdd-Ins tab on the far right of the Ribbon. To manipulate the Ribbon
with the same functionality as in earlier versions required the use of
RibbonX code, whcih is XML, and which needs to be injected into the 2007 XML
workbook file structure by creating an XML file for your custom Ribbon and
then referencing it in the ._Rels file in the 2007 workbook file structure.

It's pretty horrible! - but then I'm not an XML guru, and I'm sure
applications will be developed to enable an easier and friendlier way of
manipulating the Ribbon.

"Nigel" wrote:

How can I control xl2007 ribbons, are they the same as commandbars? Are the
settings held in an xlb file? Is there a switch to turn them on/off?

Many thanks

------------
Nigel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The ribbon is a complete paradigm shift, Bill. Throw out everything you
knew re commandbars.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa905530.aspx

--
Jim
"Bill Renaud" wrote in message
. ..
| There is probably a Visible property somewhere that you set to TRUE or
| FALSE.
|
| In Excel 2000, the line of code (to hide a commandbar) is:
|
| Application.CommandBars("My CommandBar").Visible = False
|
| Turn on the macro recorder and see what happens.
| --
| Regards,
| Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the link!
Bill Renaud

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim wrote:
<<Throw out everything you knew re commandbars.

Not totally true.

In "Overview of the Ribbon User Interface" at
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa434075.aspx, Microsoft states:

"Using XML markup files to customize the UI greatly reduces the need for
complex add-ins based on the CommandBars object model. However, add-ins
written in previous versions of Office continue to work in the Ribbon UI
with little or no modification."

I agree that there will be a steep learning curve to transition to the new
Ribbons for developers, but all is not lost for the time being, as far as
reusing old legacy code and add-ins.

I guess it will be a while before I catch up!!! (Smile!)
Bill Renaud