Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Filtering a column

I have a worksheet with several columns. I am trying to filter column E and
column J. When I select the column and go to "Data, filter, auto filter, I
get the grey arrow at the top of the column. When I filter the column to
only show the number 1, it works, however it won't filter the very first cell
of the column. So if there is a zero in that first cell, it remains, even
though all other zero's are removed after the filter is added.

Why isn't it filtering the very first cell of the column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Betsy,

By chance are you selecting the entire column?
You can go to the first row and then DataFilterAutoFilter and the filters
arrows will be applied to the header row. If you do not have a header row
(field headings) then the first row of data becomes the header row and so it
will always show.

JR

"Betsy" wrote:

I have a worksheet with several columns. I am trying to filter column E and
column J. When I select the column and go to "Data, filter, auto filter, I
get the grey arrow at the top of the column. When I filter the column to
only show the number 1, it works, however it won't filter the very first cell
of the column. So if there is a zero in that first cell, it remains, even
though all other zero's are removed after the filter is added.

Why isn't it filtering the very first cell of the column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My header rows have titles in them. I am not selecting the entire column. I
am highlighting only the cells below the header row and applying the
filtering to just those cells. It still won't filter the very first cell
selected.

Weird...

"Betsy" wrote:

I have a worksheet with several columns. I am trying to filter column E and
column J. When I select the column and go to "Data, filter, auto filter, I
get the grey arrow at the top of the column. When I filter the column to
only show the number 1, it works, however it won't filter the very first cell
of the column. So if there is a zero in that first cell, it remains, even
though all other zero's are removed after the filter is added.

Why isn't it filtering the very first cell of the column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Betsy,

You need to select a cell and then turn on the autofilter
(DataFilterAutoFilter). From that you can pick what you are looking for in
each column.

"Betsy" wrote:

I have a worksheet with several columns. I am trying to filter column E and
column J. When I select the column and go to "Data, filter, auto filter, I
get the grey arrow at the top of the column. When I filter the column to
only show the number 1, it works, however it won't filter the very first cell
of the column. So if there is a zero in that first cell, it remains, even
though all other zero's are removed after the filter is added.

Why isn't it filtering the very first cell of the column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excel uses top cell as a title.

Add a title to the column so 0 is not top cell.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP