Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Don is offline

Default How to access Application Ojbect of the Current Excel Window in C#

Hi,

I have a very basic need, and I cannot seem to find it address ANYWHERE on
the net.

I need to get access to the application object that is CURRENTLY OPEN.

I find tons of code that says use:

Excel.Application obj = new Excel.Application();

This starts a new Excel application, and that does me no good. I want to
access the active excel spreadsheet. I have found no examples or articles or
questions regarding this and it's been quite frustrating.

Just to be clear, I want something like:

Excel.Application obj = Excel.ActiveAppliation();

or

Excel.Application obj = Excel.CurrentApplication();

-Don
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don: there ared two methods I use when I get frustrated the way you are which
is quite often with excel.

1) I add a statement into excel
Set Myappl = Application
The I set through the instruction and add Myappl to the watch window by
right clicking on Myappl in the code. This gives me a view of all the
methods that are accessable and the parameters assigned to them. Most likely
you will find under applications items and one of the items is the open
application
Application can be added to the watch window manually by just typing
Application as a new watch. OPen Watch window from Debug Menu then roght
click on watch window to add items.

Below doesn't work for application. You need to specify a type of
application that you would find in the watch window.
2) Use this code below which gets all the items
for each MyAppl in Application
'you may need to filter out some applications
'
if instr(MyAppl.name,"App name) 0 then
'add your code here
end if
next MyAppl

In this case

"Don" wrote:

Hi,

I have a very basic need, and I cannot seem to find it address ANYWHERE on
the net.

I need to get access to the application object that is CURRENTLY OPEN.

I find tons of code that says use:

Excel.Application obj = new Excel.Application();

This starts a new Excel application, and that does me no good. I want to
access the active excel spreadsheet. I have found no examples or articles or
questions regarding this and it's been quite frustrating.

Just to be clear, I want something like:

Excel.Application obj = Excel.ActiveAppliation();

or

Excel.Application obj = Excel.CurrentApplication();

-Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Don is offline

Default How to access Application Ojbect of the Current Excel Window i

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the response. It's unfortunate that the title of my post got cut
short. It ended in "in C#".

What you suggested works perfectly in VBA editor using VB.NET. The problem
is, when using VS2005 and C#.NET, there is no "Application" that you speak
of. If I could get the functionality that exists in VB into C#, I'd be happy,
but so far I see no way to do it.

"Application" as you mentioned it is exactly what I'm trying to locate in C#.