Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Form won't update!

I have an form that works fine, after I click the OK button, it saves the
file. However this takes a while so I wanted to display a message 'Saving
File' I started by adding a lable, with the text, and setting it's visible
property yo false, and then when the buttonis clicked set it to true. I have
tried various ideas on this theme and to no avail. the only way I can get
such updates to work is by adding a call to display a msgbox, in the next
line of code.

How do I get around this?
Displaying the msgbox, requires user intervention, although I am sure I
could use a timer to get rid of it. But either way it seems wrong!

Graham
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

show the message in the status bar.

Application.Statusbar = "type your text here"

Enter your code to save the file

Application.Statusbar = Nothing

There is also a way you can change the mouse icon to an egg timer while you
are doing it, but I can't get access to my code at the moment and need to
leave work to catch my train. If anyone else can help you with this it would
be worthwhile.

--
BerbatovIsGod

"Graham Y" wrote:

I have an form that works fine, after I click the OK button, it saves the
file. However this takes a while so I wanted to display a message 'Saving
File' I started by adding a lable, with the text, and setting it's visible
property yo false, and then when the buttonis clicked set it to true. I have
tried various ideas on this theme and to no avail. the only way I can get
such updates to work is by adding a call to display a msgbox, in the next
line of code.

How do I get around this?
Displaying the msgbox, requires user intervention, although I am sure I
could use a timer to get rid of it. But either way it seems wrong!

Graham

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excel puts the message in the sataus bar but as the form is still on the
screen it is not very noticeable, butI like the idea of changing the mouse.
I'm off for a week's hols, so I'll try the mouse idea when I'm back.
Thanks

"Graham Y" wrote:

I have an form that works fine, after I click the OK button, it saves the
file. However this takes a while so I wanted to display a message 'Saving
File' I started by adding a lable, with the text, and setting it's visible
property yo false, and then when the buttonis clicked set it to true. I have
tried various ideas on this theme and to no avail. the only way I can get
such updates to work is by adding a call to display a msgbox, in the next
line of code.

How do I get around this?
Displaying the msgbox, requires user intervention, although I am sure I
could use a timer to get rid of it. But either way it seems wrong!

Graham

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sometimes, you can repaint the form after you show the control.

sub Commandbutton1_click()
me.label222.visible = true
me.repaint
end sub

Sometimes, it helps if you add a "doevents" to the code:

sub Commandbutton1_click()
me.label222.visible = true
doevents
me.repaint
end sub

Graham Y wrote:

I have an form that works fine, after I click the OK button, it saves the
file. However this takes a while so I wanted to display a message 'Saving
File' I started by adding a lable, with the text, and setting it's visible
property yo false, and then when the buttonis clicked set it to true. I have
tried various ideas on this theme and to no avail. the only way I can get
such updates to work is by adding a call to display a msgbox, in the next
line of code.

How do I get around this?
Displaying the msgbox, requires user intervention, although I am sure I
could use a timer to get rid of it. But either way it seems wrong!

Graham

--

Dave Peterson