Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default create a series

hi all,

hello my name is Jeff, i work as a quantity surveyor in auckland, new
zealand. i need a function creates a Quote Number everytime i click
at a command button. as sometimes we double the quote number. and if
there are anyway to check if there are some Quote Number that was
double. example is if dn5555 has appeared twice in column A.

Example below

Cell Value
A1 dn0001
A2 dn0002
A3 dn0003
..
..
..
A9999 dn9999

thanks in advance. appreciate any help.

cheers.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jeff:

in A1 enter:

="dn" &TEXT(ROW(),"0000") and copy down the column.

all the Quote Numbers will be pre-made. Then just use column B to indicate
which numbers have been use or the date they were taken or any other
information of interest.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007

"Jeff" wrote:

hi all,

hello my name is Jeff, i work as a quantity surveyor in auckland, new
zealand. i need a function creates a Quote Number everytime i click
at a command button. as sometimes we double the quote number. and if
there are anyway to check if there are some Quote Number that was
double. example is if dn5555 has appeared twice in column A.

Example below

Cell Value
A1 dn0001
A2 dn0002
A3 dn0003
..
..
..
A9999 dn9999

thanks in advance. appreciate any help.

cheers.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For creating sequential numbers:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html

To check for duplicates:

http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/Duplicates.aspx

In article . com,
Jeff wrote:

hi all,

hello my name is Jeff, i work as a quantity surveyor in auckland, new
zealand. i need a function creates a Quote Number everytime i click
at a command button. as sometimes we double the quote number. and if
there are anyway to check if there are some Quote Number that was
double. example is if dn5555 has appeared twice in column A.

Example below

Cell Value
A1 dn0001
A2 dn0002