Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how to create a series of numbers

I'm studying Excel 2007, and I am having trouble creating a series of numbers
within Excel.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have not described the problem you are having or what you are trying to do.

There is a Fill dropdown (extreme right) option under the HOME ribbon. Once
you click on it you get similar interface which you must be used to in Excel
2003.

Do let us know if you have any specific problem, so that we can try to help.

"passion_queen" wrote:

I'm studying Excel 2007, and I am having trouble creating a series of numbers
within Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

An arithmetic series can be created by using the formula =A1+B$1 in cell A2
and copying down.
A geometric series can be created by using the formula =A1*B$1 in cell A2
and copying down.
There are numerous other types of series. Which type did you have in mind?
--
David Biddulph

"passion_queen" wrote in message
I'm studying Excel 2007, and I am having trouble creating a series of
numbers
within Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Assuming that you are asking for a simple series of number 1,2,3,4,etc....
if you want Col wise then fill 1 in Col A1 and 2 in Col B1 then select both
these cells and drag from the LHS lower corner of the cell to whatever number
you want.

2)
If you want Row wise then fill 1 in col A1 and 2 Col A2 and drag vertically
as mentioned above.

In both the above options you will get the numbers in series.
--
_______________________
Click "Yes" if it helps

"passion_queen" wrote:

I'm studying Excel 2007, and I am having trouble creating a series of numbers
within Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
By using the ROW() or COLUMN() functions, it's possible to generate many
series.
For instance, assuming you want to go down the sheet, if in cell A1 you put
=row() and copy down, you will get 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 etc.
Here are a few variations
=2*ROW() will generate 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 etc
=2*ROW()-1 will generate 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 etc
=3*ROW()-2 will generate 1 4 7 10 13 16 etc
=ROW()^2 will generate 1 4 9 16 25 36 etc
=ROUNDUP(ROW()/2,0) will generate 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 etc
=MOD(ROW()-1,3) will generate 0 1 2 0 1 2 0 1 2 etc

Or are we all on the wrong track here?

Dave

"passion_queen" wrote:

I'm studying Excel 2007, and I am having trouble creating a series of numbers
within Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Press F1 for Help
Look up create series
Select the "Fill data automatically in worksheet cells" entry

passion_queen wrote:

I'm studying Excel 2007, and I am having trouble creating a series of numbers
within Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Jan 23, 4:10*am, Dave Curtis
wrote:
Hi,
By using the ROW() or COLUMN() functions, it's possible to generate manyseries.
For instance, assuming you want to go down the sheet, if in cell A1 you put
=row() and copy down, you will get 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 etc.
Here are a few variations
=2*ROW() will generate 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 etc
=2*ROW()-1 will generate 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 etc
=3*ROW()-2 will generate 1 4 7 10 13 16 etc
=ROW()^2 will generate 1 4 9 16 25 36 etc
=ROUNDUP(ROW()/2,0) will generate 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 etc
=MOD(ROW()-1,3) will generate 0 1 2 0 1 2 0 1 2 *etc

Or are we all on the wrong track here?

Dave

Thanks Dave, just what I needed to generate 11111222223333344444....etc