Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default HYPERLINK TO FILES IN A FOLDER

Hi,

I have image files contained in a specific folder, for instance, C:\ABC
I have now an excel file contains all the file names in column A. How can I
match the file names with that column and create hyperlink in each cell
containing the file names ? I can create it one by one but cannot automate
it in one go.

Much obliged if you can assist.

Rgds,
Frankie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Say I have file names like:
DSC_0002.jpg in a folder:
c:\temp

If I have the text DSC_0002.jpg in cell A1, then in B1 enter:

=HYPERLINK("C:\temp\" & A1)

and copy down. This will make a nice column of "clickable" hyperlinks
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200747

"Frankie" wrote:

Hi,

I have image files contained in a specific folder, for instance, C:\ABC
I have now an excel file contains all the file names in column A. How can I
match the file names with that column and create hyperlink in each cell
containing the file names ? I can create it one by one but cannot automate
it in one go.

Much obliged if you can assist.

Rgds,
Frankie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Gary's Student.
Have not imagined a simple formula will do.
However, I don't want the whole path to be shown in my spreadsheet. Is
there any way I can change it to the name of file without an extension ?
I.e. it only shows DSC_0002.

Thanks and regards,
Frankie

"Frankie" wrote:

Hi,

I have image files contained in a specific folder, for instance, C:\ABC
I have now an excel file contains all the file names in column A. How can I
match the file names with that column and create hyperlink in each cell
containing the file names ? I can create it one by one but cannot automate
it in one go.

Much obliged if you can assist.

Rgds,
Frankie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you ultimately want users to click on a link to view the picture in
Excel,
instead of opening in a separate program,
see if the ShowFilePicsDemo at this website helps:

http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#CH0003

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Frankie" wrote in message

I have image files contained in a specific folder, for instance, C:\ABC
I have now an excel file contains all the file names in column A. How can
match the file names with that column and create hyperlink in each cell
containing the file names ? I can create it one by one but cannot
automate
it in one go.

Much obliged if you can assist.

Rgds,
Frankie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sure, all we have to do is modify the formula just a little bit:

=HYPERLINK("C:\temp\" & A1,A1)

Now the display name visible in the cell will be just the file name, without
the path
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200747