Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Change hyperlink property to new location

We are moving users to a winows 2003 server from Novell and I am concerned
about the changes in hyperlinks to files within Office files including Word,
Excel, Access etc. Also the Desktop shortcuts. You can imagine the scale of
the problem with 2000 users. I would like to select a folder Identify
shorcuts and change the relevant properties to point to the new location.
Similarly I would like to open files , locate hyperlinks and do some sort of
edit and replace on the location. I would imagine that others have come
across this when migrating to a windows server.
I would have expected this to be part of the Windows resource kit. Any clues
would be very much appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It all depends on how the hyperlinks are currently set up:

1. The easiest method is to assign a mapped drive to the server. Tell each
user to assign hyperlinks to the mapped drive rather than:

\\server1\Financial Reports\2006\October\summary.xls

That way, when there is a block migration from one server to another, the
only thing required from the users to to disconnect the mapped drive and
connect it to the new server.

2. If the server/path is embedded in the individual hyperlinks, you could
write a macro to search and replace each link address in each document.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200747