Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Workbook contents disappear

Hello,
I was testing VB code to modify the interface of VBA-programmed Excel
workbooks. Afterwards the two workbooks were shown in their folder and the
interface of one of the worksheets was displayed to the side, but when I
attempt to open either of the two books, Excel app opens but not the specific
workbooks themselves. It just shows the Excel workbook bar at top but empty
of contents. I can open the properties for either of the workbooks and it
shows the Hidden feature is unchecked.
Also if I try to rename the folder the two Workbooks are in, it gives an
error now saying that Access is Denied and can't do so.
Any idea of what happened, and/or how I can get the workbooks to display and
open?
Thanks, God bless
..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks but the issue as I described it is that the modified workbooks even
though the icons display do not display when opened. When I attempt to open
them, the Excel application opens but not the workbooks themselves. And the
task manager then shows just the Excel app but again not the workbooks open.
The workbooks open fine before they are modified by the VB6 code but not
afterwards-and I can't see anything in the code that would create a problem.
I'm using Office 2003 and VB6-I am wondering if some of the code syntax in
Excel VBA changed from Office 2000 when went to Office 2003-some of my
automation code in VB6 for modifying the workbooks dates back to Office 2000.
Thanks again,
Van

"VanS" wrote:

Hello,
I was testing VB code to modify the interface of VBA-programmed Excel
workbooks. Afterwards the two workbooks were shown in their folder and the
interface of one of the worksheets was displayed to the side, but when I
attempt to open either of the two books, Excel app opens but not the specific
workbooks themselves. It just shows the Excel workbook bar at top but empty
of contents. I can open the properties for either of the workbooks and it
shows the Hidden feature is unchecked.
Also if I try to rename the folder the two Workbooks are in, it gives an
error now saying that Access is Denied and can't do so.
Any idea of what happened, and/or how I can get the workbooks to display and
open?
Thanks, God bless
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would run the code, once it has run you would assume the Excel application
has closed. Check the Processes tab in Task Manager and see if Exel is
running. I have run into this problem before. It usually has to do with how
you refer to an Excel object in your code. You state below that you try to
rename the folder it gives you an error, if the workbook(s) were open in the
background you would get this error. See attached link

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vba/xl_doesnt_quit/

"VanS" wrote:

Hello,
I was testing VB code to modify the interface of VBA-programmed Excel
workbooks. Afterwards the two workbooks were shown in their folder and the
interface of one of the worksheets was displayed to the side, but when I
attempt to open either of the two books, Excel app opens but not the specific
workbooks themselves. It just shows the Excel workbook bar at top but empty
of contents. I can open the properties for either of the workbooks and it
shows the Hidden feature is unchecked.
Also if I try to rename the folder the two Workbooks are in, it gives an
error now saying that Access is Denied and can't do so.
Any idea of what happened, and/or how I can get the workbooks to display and
open?
Thanks, God bless
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Ralph,
Thanks again for your suggestion.
I checked the article you referenced plus the MS KB article that was
referenced by yours and to the best of my knowledge it doesn't appear my app
is related to that situation. First of all, in the Task Manager, there are no
instances of Excel under processes or applications left running. Second, upon
examination I don't seem to see any instances of unqualified references. I
tried the test under the MS article where you set the app to Break on All
Errors to see if the relevant error occurred which it didn't. I have some
references to properties under a qualified reference in a With statement, but
I assume those sub references are thereby qualified.
It's quite baffling. The icon for the modified (assuming the code works)
workbooks display along with a thumbnail image of one of the worksheets but
the contents are just vanished when I try to open the books. Now it is
letting me modify or delete both the folder and/or the workbooks. It's almost
like the display is set to hidden but I don't see how that happened.
Any other ideas?
Thanks, God bless, Van