Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Trouble with Sharing Addins

I have a macro that I want to share with other users on my network. I went
through all of the steps to create an addin and it works fine on my system,
opens with every workbook, etc. but I can't figure out how to get it to work
on someone else's machine.

I emailed him the addin file and saved it to the same folder on his machine
that it was on mine (c:\documents and settings\...\application
data\microsoft\addins) and when I opened up his Excel I went to tools,
addins, browsed to find this file, and checked the box next to it.

But when I try to run a macro, it says none are installed. The addin
contains one macro, but it's not showing up on his computer ... ? What am I
not doing right?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You cannot access an add-in's macros through Tools\Macros. You will need to
create a toolbar or menu, or maybe you could create a keyboard shortcut in
the add-in's AutoOpen procedure.

"SLW612" wrote in message
I have a macro that I want to share with other users on my network. I went
through all of the steps to create an addin and it works fine on my
system,
opens with every workbook, etc. but I can't figure out how to get it to
work
on someone else's machine.

I emailed him the addin file and saved it to the same folder on his
machine
that it was on mine (c:\documents and settings\...\application
data\microsoft\addins) and when I opened up his Excel I went to tools,
addins, browsed to find this file, and checked the box next to it.

But when I try to run a macro, it says none are installed. The addin
contains one macro, but it's not showing up on his computer ... ? What am
not doing right?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You cannot access an add-in's macros through Tools\Macros.

Not true. The dialog just doesn't list the macros that exist in the
add-ins being used. But you can still type in the name of an add-in
macro and run it (or assign a shortcut key to it).

In addition to your suggestion of creating a toolbar or menu entry,
they can also be assigned to objects in the workbook. I often have
set up a cell so that clicking on the cell runs an add-in macro.