Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Conditional formatting in a programmed cell

I want to use conditional format in a programmed cell. I have a workbook
with many pages. The result page pulls people's initials from the rest of
the workbook. I need to color in the cell if initials are there.
Conditional format seems to see the formula as a parameter.

Thnx for your help.

Leeney
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I put this formula in A1: =if(b1="","",b1)

And I used a custom rule of: =A1<""
for the format|conditional formatting of A1.

It seemed to work ok.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much. It does work. There are 16 pages I'm pulling from so
I would have to repeat the following in 16 times. ugh I'm trying to figure
out how to put in an "OR" statement but an hoping there may be something
easier?

=IF(CEB!AA3="","",CEB!AA3)

Thank you
Leeney

Leeney wrote:

I want to use conditional format in a programmed cell. I have a workbook
with many pages. The result page pulls people's initials from the rest of
the workbook. I need to color in the cell if initials are there.
Conditional format seems to see the formula as a parameter.

Thnx for your help.

Leeney

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is a vacation schedule for my department. Right now I have 13 different
pages, each page is a different person. When someone wants a vaca day, I
enter it on their page and it is carried to the front page. I concatenated
each cell on each page to the corresponding cell on the front page to show
the person's initials that would be on vaca that day. If more than one person
took a vaca day on a specific day, I would have all of their initials.
Your suggestion below works. =IF(CEB!AA3="","",CEB!AA3)

I trying to make it work with:
=CONCATENATE(CEB!AB4,GEC!AB4,AED!AB4,KVG!AB4,UBI!A B4,JLJ!AB4,MDL!AB4,BHM!AB4,RAM!AB4,BPR!AB4,TER!AB4 ,JJS!AB4,DV!AB4)
Changing "concatenate" to "if" then adding the rest of the formula is good
for one, but I didn't know if I had to repeat it 12 more times and if it
would work. I would think I'd need an "or" statement or something similar
wouldn't I?

Leeney

Leeney wrote:

I want to use conditional format in a programmed cell. I have a workbook
with many pages. The result page pulls people's initials from the rest of
the workbook. I need to color in the cell if initials are there.
Conditional format seems to see the formula as a parameter.

Thnx for your help.

Leeney

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you copy the formula, does it adjust to what you need in the pasted cell?

If no...

Maybe you could just copy the formula to the other cell (copy from the formula
bar and paste into the formula bar)

Then change the address of the cell that you want to bring back via
edit|replace?

Leeney wrote:

I want to use conditional format in a programmed cell. I have a workbook
with many pages. The result page pulls people's initials from the rest of
the workbook. I need to color in the cell if initials are there.
Conditional format seems to see the formula as a parameter.

Thnx for your help.

Leeney

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It was worth a try. I tried
CONCATENATE(IF((CEB!AA3="","",CEB!AA3,GEC!AA3=""," ",GEC!AA3, ....)) then took
out CONCATENATE and a set of paren's but it didn't like GEC's first set of
quotes either way.

I know there must be a way to do it, just to find it is the trick. I'll
keep trying & will take any suggestions.

Thank you so much - Leeney

Leeney wrote:

I want to use conditional format in a programmed cell. I have a workbook
with many pages. The result page pulls people's initials from the rest of
the workbook. I need to color in the cell if initials are there.
Conditional format seems to see the formula as a parameter.

Thnx for your help.

Leeney

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Instead of removing Concatenate and the ()'s, how about just trying to paste
into the formulabar?

Or if you want to change the formula to text first, put $$$$$ in front of the
leading equal sign:

=Concatenate(...)
becomes
$$$$$=concatenate(...)

Then you can copy|paste that string to where you want and edit|replace whatever
you need.

And finally, change $$$$$ to nothing (leave that blank).