Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I create a pulldown value list for data entry?

Hello folks,

I have worked with a spreadsheet that had choices (I yhink they were
pulldowns). I want to use the same in my spreadsheets. I have tried to
find out how they are down through the help screens, but so far no
luck. Part of the reason is that I don't know what they are called.

Any help appreciate.

Deguza

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I fully appreciate the frustration of trying to find the right word to look
up the Help.

In XL2007 version:-
Enter 'drop-down list' in your search and then select
'Create a drop-down list from a range of cells' from the list of topics
displayed.

In pre xl2007 versions:-
Enter the following in your search 'enter data in a cell from a list you
specify' and then select the same again from the list of topics.

There are other methods also of creating Drop Down boxes. In View-Toolbars
turn on the Control ToolBox toolbar. If you hover the cursor over the buttons
on the Control ToolBox toolbar, you will find a button called a Combo Box.
Click it and then click on your worksheet where you want the box and drag out
a rectangle to the required size. Right click on the box and select
properties and have a look at it.

Note when finished setting the properties of the combo box you need to turn
off Design Mode. It is a button on the toobar that looks like a blue set
square with a ruler and a pencil. If you want to make changes to the combo
box, then you need to click the Design Mode button again.

There is also a combo box on the Forms Toolbar but I believe the controls
there are mainly to keep xl backwards compatible so I suggest that you use
the one from the Control Box toolbar.

I'll leave it up to you to get more information from Help on the above topics.

Regards,

OssieMac

"Kompu Kid" wrote:

Hello folks,

I have worked with a spreadsheet that had choices (I yhink they were
pulldowns). I want to use the same in my spreadsheets. I have tried to
find out how they are down through the help screens, but so far no
luck. Part of the reason is that I don't know what they are called.

Any help appreciate.

Deguza

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The part about accessing combo boxes in my previous post is for pre xl2007
versions. In xl2007, you access them from Developer ribbon then Insert on the
controls block. Again I suggest that you select from the ActiveX buttons not
the Forms buttons.

Regards,

OssieMac

"Kompu Kid" wrote:

Hello folks,

I have worked with a spreadsheet that had choices (I yhink they were
pulldowns). I want to use the same in my spreadsheets. I have tried to
find out how they are down through the help screens, but so far no
luck. Part of the reason is that I don't know what they are called.

Any help appreciate.

Deguza

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe as simple as using a dropdown list from Data Validation.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more details.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal01.html#Dropdown

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP