Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 03 crashes if explorer settings for showing file extensions are changed

Hello Guys,

The situation is as follows: If have an Excel sheet that relies
heavily on VBA and Userforms. The VBA code is password-protected and
hidden so it can'T be read or altered by the user.

I can open the Workbook, i can click on a button to open the first
form, but when i click "OK" and start the macro for the second form,
Excel crashes. I can't give any details about where in the code it
crashes as i don't even get any Runtime Error, "error in line X" or
any chance to debug. It just crashes with the "send report to MS"
screen.

BUT: there are two odd things that may be a hint for you about where
it's coming from:

1) This only happens if i change the Windows Explorer Setting about
weither or not to show file extensions in the explorer view (my
windows is not english, i hope you get which option i refer to). After
i changed this one time, i can change it back and forth and Excel will
continue to crash.

2) This does not happen (regardless of settings done in point 1) if i
remove the VBA Password. As soon as i put it back in, it crashes
again.

So, it seems to have something to do with the Workbook Name and the
VBA Protection, but i have absolutely no clue what it could be.

I don't refer the workbookname "hardcoded" anywhere, only as
ActiveWorkbook.Name, i don't change it, i don't save it in a global
Variable or anything, just cache it in runtime varibles when working
with 2 Workbooks at the same time (which is'nt even the case in the
part of the App where the crash occurs).

I can't really show you any code where it might come from, as it's a
quite long code, and as mentioned above, Excel won't give me any error
message where the error occured...

i'm just clueless. Thanks for ANY Pointers.