Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default print a static date from a barcode

Hello,
Im creating a very simple track and trace system for use only to my own
packages.

And i need excel to type todays date when it reads a barcode. And the date
needs to be static.

Any ideas on how to do this? - im not the big programmer så im lost :)
As far as i can see it can not be done "out of the box". I cant find any
barcode that could give me CTRL+SHIFT+; (static date).

So im looking for another way of doing it :)

Regards,
Dennis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you mean enter the current date instead of the read barcode, or enter the
date in a cell next to the barcode entry ?

How do you currently read the barcode? Select a cell and then scan, or what?

Most posters here (inc. myself) may not be too familiar with barcodes, so
you could provide more details there.

I'm thinking you could use the worksheet_change event, but it depends on how
"general" you want this feature to be (one specific workbook?)

Tim

"Dennis Pedersen" wrote in message
Hello,
Im creating a very simple track and trace system for use only to my own
packages.

And i need excel to type todays date when it reads a barcode. And the date
needs to be static.

Any ideas on how to do this? - im not the big programmer så im lost :)
As far as i can see it can not be done "out of the box". I cant find any
barcode that could give me CTRL+SHIFT+; (static date).

So im looking for another way of doing it :)

Regards,
Dennis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Tim Williams" <timjwilliams at gmail dot com skrev i en meddelelse
Do you mean enter the current date instead of the read barcode, or enter
the date in a cell next to the barcode entry ?

How do you currently read the barcode? Select a cell and then scan, or
what?

Most posters here (inc. myself) may not be too familiar with barcodes, so
you could provide more details there.

I'm thinking you could use the worksheet_change event, but it depends on
how "general" you want this feature to be (one specific workbook?)

When i am filling out my return.xls - instead of typing Name,date,package
number. I just want to scan the barcodes on a paper i have. The scanner just
works as a USB keyboard (with the limitation i can only type
"123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ-.*$/+%").
When i scan a barcode it enterns the value in the current field in excel

Therefore i need a combination of the above caracters that could give me
static version of the date today.

Since i cant get it out of the box i am open to any ideas on how excel can
convert the caracters above to the date.

Hope that clears thing up a bit

Regards,
Dennis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Tim Williams" <timjwilliams at gmail dot com skrev i en meddelelse

You mean a single barcode which when scanned would always enter as the
current date ?

yep.
And the date needs to be static so it does not change the next time i open
the doc.

Try this - the code goes into the sheet module, which you can access by
right-clicking on the sheet tab and selecting "view code"
You'd create a barcode with content of "$DATE$" and when scanned to the
sheet it should be replaced with the current date.

Ill try that - thank you.

Regards,
Dennis