Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to execute a program and return it's output to me in VBA.

I need to execute an FTP program and return directory information from the
ftp'd computer so I can manipulate it in VBA. I know how to write a batch
file to start the program and the file the batch file starts.

What I don't know is how to start the process in VB so I get the output of
running the program back to my VBA program.

Thanks,
Mac in Berkeley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=214248
XL2000: How to Force Macro Code to Wait for Outside Procedure

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=129796
HOWTO: 32-Bit App Can Determine When a Shelled Process Ends

Tom Ogilvy

"Mac Lingo" wrote:

I need to execute an FTP program and return directory information from the
ftp'd computer so I can manipulate it in VBA. I know how to write a batch
file to start the program and the file the batch file starts.

What I don't know is how to start the process in VB so I get the output of
running the program back to my VBA program.

Thanks,
Mac in Berkeley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ha ha.

There is a way to capture the output. But because you didn't try the
ftp script solution I posted for your same question yesterday, I'm not
going to give it to you.

All right. I'll give you a tip ...

ftp -s example.scr ftp_output.txt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default I didn't get it before.

Piping is such a simple answer. And thank you very much.

Tho I don't get the reason for the "scr" type. I've figured out how to do
it with an ordinary batch file, but I couldn't even figure out what the
"scr" type was for. I guess scripting, but I don't know anything about
programming in that enviornment.

Mac