Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Programming Function

I'm attempting to program a new function that includes other functions
provided by Bloomberg professional service. The end result needs to look
like this:

BDP("AUD Curncy","LAST_PRICE")

The AUD Curncy is Bloomberg's security code, which I will be getting from
two separate cells. I am able to put the two cells together as follows:

BBCODE = AUD
BBKEY = Curncy
FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & BBKEY

My problem is that I need to get quotation marks around the FULLBBCODE in
the VBA code. When I've tried """ & FULLBBCODE &""" it just returns that
exact text, not what FULLBBCODE represents. Hope I've explained this enough,
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tried it, didn't work the way I was hoping. It does return AUD Curncy in a
cell, but I think I didn't provide enough information about the problem. So
in my code, I want to execute the Bloomberg function which works fine if I
manually put in Function = [BDP("AUD Curncy","LAST_PRICE")] but does not work
when I substitute the variable below, that's when I have problems. Any ideas?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

One more each time

"""" & FULLBBCODE & """"

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Matt" wrote in message
I'm attempting to program a new function that includes other functions
provided by Bloomberg professional service. The end result needs to look
like this:

BDP("AUD Curncy","LAST_PRICE")

The AUD Curncy is Bloomberg's security code, which I will be getting from
two separate cells. I am able to put the two cells together as follows:

BBCODE = AUD
BBKEY = Curncy
FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & BBKEY

My problem is that I need to get quotation marks around the FULLBBCODE in
the VBA code. When I've tried """ & FULLBBCODE &""" it just returns that
exact text, not what FULLBBCODE represents. Hope I've explained this
enough,
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

How about chr(34) & FULLBBCODE & chr(34)
Does that work?

"Matt" wrote in message
Tried it, didn't work the way I was hoping. It does return AUD Curncy in
cell, but I think I didn't provide enough information about the problem.
So
in my code, I want to execute the Bloomberg function which works fine if I
manually put in Function = [BDP("AUD Curncy","LAST_PRICE")] but does not
work
when I substitute the variable below, that's when I have problems. Any
ideas?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

One more each time

"""" & FULLBBCODE & """"

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Doesn't seem to work. I have figured out that I can put a cell reference in,
like B2 & " " & B3, where B2 = AUD and B3 = Curncy, and this works. However
I really didn't want to have to hardcode references in, I want the user to be
able to change where this data is contained in the future if possible.
Although for the sake of time I may just go that route. Any other ideas?

"Matt" wrote in message
Tried it, didn't work the way I was hoping. It does return AUD Curncy in
cell, but I think I didn't provide enough information about the problem.
So
in my code, I want to execute the Bloomberg function which works fine if I
manually put in Function = [BDP("AUD Curncy","LAST_PRICE")] but does not
work
when I substitute the variable below, that's when I have problems. Any
ideas?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

One more each time

"""" & FULLBBCODE & """"

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Matt, can you just post your entire routine? I think we're missing
something. James

"Matt" wrote in message
Tried it, didn't work the way I was hoping. It does return AUD Curncy
in
cell, but I think I didn't provide enough information about the
problem.
So
in my code, I want to execute the Bloomberg function which works fine
if I
manually put in Function = [BDP("AUD Curncy","LAST_PRICE")] but does
not
work
when I substitute the variable below, that's when I have problems. Any
ideas?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

One more each time

"""" & FULLBBCODE & """"

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It might be a typo on your part, but let's go back to what you posted
originally...

BDP("AUD Curncy","LAST_PRICE")

BBCODE = AUD
BBKEY = Curncy
FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & BBKEY

FULLBBCODE, as constructed, will not have the blank space between BBCODE and
BBKEY. Try the assignment this way...

FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & " " & BBKEY

and see if that helps any. I'm thinking your code should look something like
this...

BBCODE = AUD
BBKEY = Curncy
FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & " " & BBKEY
<<Function = "BDP(""" & FULLBBCODE & """,""LAST_PRICE"")"

You used "Function" as a variable in your original posting... that is a
reserved keyword and cannot be the name of a variable.

Rick

"Matt" wrote in message
Tried it, didn't work the way I was hoping. It does return AUD Curncy
in
cell, but I think I didn't provide enough information about the
problem.
So
in my code, I want to execute the Bloomberg function which works fine
if I
manually put in Function = [BDP("AUD Curncy","LAST_PRICE")] but does
not
work
when I substitute the variable below, that's when I have problems. Any
ideas?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

One more each time

"""" & FULLBBCODE & """"

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sure,

Function Futures (BBCODE, BBKEY)

FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & " " & BBKEY
Futures = [BDP(FULLBBCODE, "Last Price")]

End Function

where BBCODE equals cell B2 = AUD
and BBKEY equals cell B3 = Curncy

BDP is the Bloomberg function that I'm using to return real-time market data.

So I've tried the suggestions from earlier and none seem to make the
function work. I can manually type in "AUD Curncy" in the function and it
works, I can put B2 & " " & B3 manually and get it to work, and I've tried
using the index function and that works. But of course what I really want is
something close to what I've typed above, very frustrating. Any help is
appreciated, thanks.

"Matt" wrote in message
Tried it, didn't work the way I was hoping. It does return AUD Curncy
in
cell, but I think I didn't provide enough information about the
problem.
So
in my code, I want to execute the Bloomberg function which works fine
if I
manually put in Function = [BDP("AUD Curncy","LAST_PRICE")] but does
not
work
when I substitute the variable below, that's when I have problems. Any
ideas?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

One more each time

"""" & FULLBBCODE & """"

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, still returns an error.

As an alternative, is there anyway to use the reference supplied by the
user. So instead of getting the value AUD, I get B2 and then I could use
that?

Matt

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Function Futures (BBCODE, BBKEY)

FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & " " & BBKEY
Futures = [BDP(FULLBBCODE, "Last Price")]

End Function

where BBCODE equals cell B2 = AUD
and BBKEY equals cell B3 = Curncy

What about this?

Function Futures (BBCODE, BBKEY)
FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & " " & BBKEY
Futures = ["BDP(""" & FULLBBCODE & """,""LAST_PRICE"")"]
End Function

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's returning a #NAME? error, which basically means the Bloomberg function
didn't understand what I was giving it.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Tell us what the error is.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Function Futures (BBCODE, BBKEY)

FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & " " & BBKEY
Futures = [BDP(FULLBBCODE, "Last Price")]

End Function

where BBCODE equals cell B2 = AUD
and BBKEY equals cell B3 = Curncy

What about this?

Function Futures (BBCODE, BBKEY)
FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & " " & BBKEY
Futures = ["BDP(""" & FULLBBCODE & """,""LAST_PRICE"")"]
End Function

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Matt, I think it's a case of "you can't get there from here, you'll have to
go somewhere else and start from there!", meaning you'll have to build the
entire formula in a different way (maybe using a userform?) and insert the
entire formula in the cell, to get it to work properly. Seems to me if the
outer function (BDP) is looking for literal string arguments, it's not going
to be happy with UDF-created arguments unless the entire formula is created
elsewhere and inserted in the cell. Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe
Rick has more ideas. James

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Function Futures (BBCODE, BBKEY)

FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & " " & BBKEY
Futures = [BDP(FULLBBCODE, "Last Price")]

End Function

where BBCODE equals cell B2 = AUD
and BBKEY equals cell B3 = Curncy

What about this?

Function Futures (BBCODE, BBKEY)
FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & " " & BBKEY
Futures = ["BDP(""" & FULLBBCODE & """,""LAST_PRICE"")"]
End Function

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks James and Rick for the help. Just to follow up, Bloomberg does have
an RTD program that is a little more forgiving in what it will accept as
arguments so I'm going to use that for now and forego on using the Bloomberg
function. Thanks again for the help. BTW, if there is a way to extract the
address of a cell from what is specified in the function, I would still be
very interested.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Function Futures (BBCODE, BBKEY)

FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & " " & BBKEY
Futures = [BDP(FULLBBCODE, "Last Price")]

End Function

where BBCODE equals cell B2 = AUD
and BBKEY equals cell B3 = Curncy

What about this?

Function Futures (BBCODE, BBKEY)
FULLBBCODE = BBCODE & " " & BBKEY
Futures = ["BDP(""" & FULLBBCODE & """,""LAST_PRICE"")"]
End Function

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use the RTD wrapper.

The other BBG functions won't let you do what you want. RTD is very
flexible. Find someone at the desktop build group at Bloomberg (most of the
firstline responders won't have a clue), if that doesn't solve your problem.
If you type BBXL <GO, open a couple of sample files, and find the author.
I've always found that they are very helpful (after an initial "it's not
really our job to support your programming").

Downside of the RTD wrapper - I think it's being phased out (either by BBG
or MSFT, can't remember which).

HTH