Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Avoid Startup Prompt on Excel 2002

Hello,

On excel worksheet I've got many links to other files and everytime I open
my file I get a msgbox asking to wheter I want to update or not. Is it
possible to avoid that message thru vba (I know that If I go to
Edit-Links-Startup Prompt I can remove this message) ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Nader

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can certainly make that setting using VBA.

ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLinks = xlUpdateLinksNever
or pick the specific value you want.

However, it will not affect the file that contains the code (except in
versions earlier than xl2003, it will probably produce an error). The prompt
is performed before any macros are run. This is true for any other link
related setting as well.

This is a setting specific to and stored with the workbook although it was
introduced in xl2003, so it would have no affect in earlier versions as
appears to be your problem.

In earlier versions than xl2003, the usual suggestion is to have two
workbooks. the User opens the "dummy" workbook which uses code to open the
actual workbook with the command specified to handle links as you want, then
closes itself.

Tom Ogilvy