Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default auto sorting data validation list

Hi,

How do I ensure that my named ranges supply data to my data validation
drop-down lists that are in the proper aphanumerical order? These lists are
dynamically changing based on re-populating data which is then used to
refresh pivot tables. My named ranges that feed my data validation drop-down
lists are also contained on the same pivot table data sheet.

Thanks!
Kent.
--
Kent Lysell
Financial Consultant
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I assume the data appears in the dropdown as it does in the table.

There is no inherent ability to sort the data in the list. It must be
provided to the list in a sorted order.

Tom Ogilvy

"klysell" wrote:

Hi,

How do I ensure that my named ranges supply data to my data validation
drop-down lists that are in the proper aphanumerical order? These lists are
dynamically changing based on re-populating data which is then used to
refresh pivot tables. My named ranges that feed my data validation drop-down
lists are also contained on the same pivot table data sheet.

Thanks!
Kent.
--
Kent Lysell
Financial Consultant
Ottawa, Ontario
W: 613.948-9557

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Can I sort only each column that is used as data in the drop-down without
sorting adjacent data? A macro would be able to sort each column in
isolation, and then when the data is called up for the data validation, it
would be sorted (i.e. SP230, SP231, SP232, etc.). It looks unprofessional
when all the data for the drop downs are in a crazy order, which makes it
difficult for the user to find his value...

--
Kent Lysell
Financial Consultant

"klysell" wrote:

Hi,

How do I ensure that my named ranges supply data to my data validation
drop-down lists that are in the proper aphanumerical order? These lists are
dynamically changing based on re-populating data which is then used to
refresh pivot tables. My named ranges that feed my data validation drop-down
lists are also contained on the same pivot table data sheet.

Thanks!
Kent.
--
Kent Lysell
Financial Consultant
Ottawa, Ontario
W: 613.948-9557

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can sort any rectangular subset of the data you want in isolation
including single columns.

Range("A1:A10").Sort

for example.
Tom Ogilvy

"klysell" wrote:

Hi,

How do I ensure that my named ranges supply data to my data validation
drop-down lists that are in the proper aphanumerical order? These lists are
dynamically changing based on re-populating data which is then used to
refresh pivot tables. My named ranges that feed my data validation drop-down
lists are also contained on the same pivot table data sheet.

Thanks!
Kent.
--
Kent Lysell
Financial Consultant
Ottawa, Ontario
W: 613.948-9557

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks anyways Tom. I still can't pre-sort my data validation lists before
they're used in my drop-downs. No problemo. Take care.
--
Kent Lysell
Financial Consultant