Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Zipping files and using them in a program... Is it possible?

I have not really looked in to it, but is there anyway to use files
that are in a zip file or other type of *.data file (EXT would only
hide the format) and use them in Excel?

I am interested in zipping up a folder of 700+ picture files that are
used with one of my programs. I would like to get these, as well as
maybe a static record set to be in there as well to limit the
availablity of viewing to users.

Does anyone have a link or some resource they could point me to?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"theSquirrel" wrote...
I have not really looked in to it, but is there anyway to use files
that are in a zip file or other type of *.data file (EXT would only
hide the format) and use them in Excel?

Sure, by unzipping them first. If you mean leaving them in the Zip file,
then, no, not possible.

I am interested in zipping up a folder of 700+ picture files that are
used with one of my programs. I would like to get these, as well as
maybe a static record set to be in there as well to limit the
availablity of viewing to users.

What makes you believe your users wouldn't be able to access your zip files
the way they could access any other zip files? If you password protect your
zip files, you'd need an .XLS file with a macro containing the zip file
passwords in order to access the files in your zip files. It's not exactly
impossible to find out what those zip file passwords would be since .XLS
files, once open, have weak internal security.

Zipping my Excel Files and maintain the folder structure Sabine Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 August 10th 07 06:02 PM
Program to resave a collection of .xls files into tab separated .txt files JH[_2_] Excel Programming 2 June 12th 06 05:49 PM
Zipping a file Chris Excel Programming 1 October 21st 05 04:51 PM
Program Files Folder Scott Gordon Excel Programming 0 May 5th 04 06:26 PM
Zipping Excel files Eric[_6_] Excel Programming 2 September 22nd 03 03:19 PM