Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Creating a path to save a file

I am trying to save a file to a users file on a server I can't get the path
right

Dim username As String
username = Application.username
NUMBERSAVE = Range("AB2")

If Application.username = "jauld" Then

QUOTENUMBER1 = InputBox("Please enter QUOTE file name to save to
Server3", "The Company", "\\server3\jobs\ username\" & NUMBERSAVE)

QUOTE = QUOTENUMBER1 & ".XLS"
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=QUOTE

How do a specify the correct path?

oldjay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am trying to save a file to a users file on a server I can't get the path
right

Dim username As String
username = Application.username
NUMBERSAVE = Range("AB2")

If Application.username = "jauld" Then

QUOTENUMBER1 = InputBox("Please enter QUOTE file name to save to
Server3", "The Company", "\\server3\jobs\ username\" & NUMBERSAVE)

QUOTE = QUOTENUMBER1 & ".XLS"
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=QUOTE

How do a specify the correct path?

You have the variable 'username' inside the quote marks... VB thinks that is
a bunch of characters just like the rest of the characters between the quote
marks. You need to concatenate the username to the rest of the text so that
VB can substitute what you assigned to it. Try it this way...

"\\server3\jobs\" & username & "\" & NUMBERSAVE

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

in addition, his string has a space in front of username: \ username\

Personally, if I were OldJay, I'd choose another name for variable username
- to prevent confusion when reading the code. I don't know about you, but I
shy away from using anything closely resembling a property or method name for
any of my own variables or constants.

Hey, OldJay! how ya' doin'??

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi - I want to thank you again for all the work you did for me. I copied the
code to my program as follows

QUOTENUMBER1 = InputBox("Please enter QUOTE file name to save to Server3",
"The Company", "\\server3\jobs\" & username & "\" & NUMBERSAVE

and get a compile error

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi - I want to thank you again for all the work you did for me. I copied
the
code to my program as follows

QUOTENUMBER1 = InputBox("Please enter QUOTE file name to save to Server3",
"The Company", "\\server3\jobs\" & username & "\" & NUMBERSAVE

and get a compile error

Did you copy it as it is shown (on 2 lines)? If so, make it one line or use
this properly "continued" statement...

QUOTENUMBER1=InputBox("Please enter QUOTE file name to save to Server3", _
"The Company", "\\server3\jobs\" & UserName & "\" & NUMBERSAVE)

And while it is probably just a typo on your part, you left out the closing
parenthesis on your posted line of code.

If this does not solve the problem... Are any lines being highlighted, or
any error numbers being displayed, when the compile error is generated? If
so, tell us what they are.

Rick