Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2003 - Weird behaviour in VBA editor

Under certain circumstances (well most of the time), when I am typing,
the cursor goes backwards - e.g. typing
Dim lsString
then I can't get to type the space after Dim. It's not just the Dim
it's on - e.g. within a comment.

I've exported the text to notepad, created a clean spreadsheet and
reloaded, but it will start doing the same thing again

I am running Office 2003, but haven't put any service packs on yet
--
Mike News
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've seen that behavior in the Access VBE if there is active code running
(say, a Form timer that Break mode doesn't effect) while I am making edits.
The VBE really, really, really doesn't like that.

HTH,

"Mike" S wrote in message
Under certain circumstances (well most of the time), when I am typing, the
cursor goes backwards - e.g. typing
Dim lsString
then I can't get to type the space after Dim. It's not just the Dim it's
on - e.g. within a comment.

I've exported the text to notepad, created a clean spreadsheet and
reloaded, but it will start doing the same thing again

I am running Office 2003, but haven't put any service packs on yet
--
Mike News

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Les Les is offline

This may be completely off the wall but I once had a user with a similar
problem in Word. He was using a laptop with one of those touch-pad thingys
below the space bar. Every so often, without noticing it he would hit the
touchpad and the cursor would jump to wherever the mouse pointer was sitting.
Any chance you could be doing the same thing?
--
Les Torchia-Wells

"Mike" wrote:

Under certain circumstances (well most of the time), when I am typing,
the cursor goes backwards - e.g. typing
Dim lsString
then I can't get to type the space after Dim. It's not just the Dim
it's on - e.g. within a comment.

I've exported the text to notepad, created a clean spreadsheet and
reloaded, but it will start doing the same thing again

I am running Office 2003, but haven't put any service packs on yet
--
Mike News

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In message
at 12:36:01 on Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Les
wrote
This may be completely off the wall but I once had a user with a similar
problem in Word. He was using a laptop with one of those touch-pad thingys
below the space bar. Every so often, without noticing it he would hit the
touchpad and the cursor would jump to wherever the mouse pointer was sitting.
Any chance you could be doing the same thing?

The touchpad is quite a way below the spacebar, but that could be a
possibility. I will have a look and let you know
--
Mike News
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In message
at 14:27:42 on Wed, 25 Jul 2007, George Nicholson
wrote
I've seen that behavior in the Access VBE if there is active code running
(say, a Form timer that Break mode doesn't effect) while I am making edits.
The VBE really, really, really doesn't like that.

Again, I will have a look at this. I think while I was developing I
used the Worksheet_Activate event, but have long since changed that (and
have exported the code out since then).

It could be possible the macro is still running. I usually find
restarting works, and in the worst case I start my spredsheet and
disable macros

Many thanks
--
Mike News

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In message
at 21:18:00 on Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Mike
S wrote
In message
at 12:36:01 on Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Les
wrote
This may be completely off the wall but I once had a user with a similar
problem in Word. He was using a laptop with one of those touch-pad thingys
below the space bar. Every so often, without noticing it he would hit the
touchpad and the cursor would jump to wherever the mouse pointer was sitting.
Any chance you could be doing the same thing?

The touchpad is quite a way below the spacebar, but that could be a
possibility. I will have a look and let you know

I've had time to look at this, and it's definitely not this
--
Mike News
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In message
at 21:20:42 on Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Mike
S wrote
In message
at 14:27:42 on Wed, 25 Jul 2007, George Nicholson
wrote
I've seen that behavior in the Access VBE if there is active code running
(say, a Form timer that Break mode doesn't effect) while I am making edits.
The VBE really, really, really doesn't like that.

Again, I will have a look at this. I think while I was developing I
used the Worksheet_Activate event, but have long since changed that
(and have exported the code out since then).

It could be possible the macro is still running. I usually find
restarting works, and in the worst case I start my spredsheet and
disable macros

Many thanks

I don't think this is a possibility because I always wait for the macros
to stop running before going into the editor. I was thinking maybe it
was due to the number of occupied cells, but it's very minimal really.
Longer term, I won't be using my spreadsheet to display the contents of
the data I am reading from a file, so hopefully then the problem will go
away
--
Mike News