Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Sue Sue is offline

Default Add text change row colour

Hi

Want to make this simple for my office junior. In a drop down combo box on a
userform we have about 10 items listed, two of them are "FREE" & "CAR" on
selection they are entered on "Sheet1" column "J3:J400 depending on which row
we are up to on the sheet. On selecting "FREE or "CAR" it would help her, if
the whole of the text on the row from Column "A" thru Column "O" changed to
the colour Red. Is this possible as perhaps "Free & Car" will only be used
about 30 times in the whole of 400 rows that are used - perhaps a little
macro??

--
Many Thanks

Sue
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Want to make this simple for my office junior. In a drop down combo box on
userform we have about 10 items listed, two of them are "FREE" & "CAR" on
selection they are entered on "Sheet1" column "J3:J400 depending on which
row
we are up to on the sheet. On selecting "FREE or "CAR" it would help her,
if
the whole of the text on the row from Column "A" thru Column "O" changed
the colour Red. Is this possible as perhaps "Free & Car" will only be used
about 30 times in the whole of 400 rows that are used - perhaps a little
macro??

What about Conditional Formatting? Select ALL the rows (not just the J
column) from 3 to 400, click on Format/ConditionFormatting in Excel's menu,
select "Formula Is" in the first ComboBox and paste this formula into the
second field (it will appear after you select "Formula Is")...

=NOT(ISERR(SEARCH("~*"&$J3&"~*","*FREE*CAR*")))

Next, click the Format button, click the Patterns tab and choose the color
you want to use to highlight the row. OK your way out of the dialog box.

Whenever "FREE" or "CAR" (either in any combination of upper and/or lower
case letters) appears in J3 through J4, the entire row will be highlighted
with the color that you chose.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Sue Sue is offline

Hi Rick

Thank you!!!

I would never have found this
=NOT(ISERR(SEARCH("~*"&$J3&"~*","*FREE*CAR*")))
in a whole year of searching, my working life just got a hell of a lot
easier, I can now scroll down the sheet and at a glance see which customer is
on a freebie, and junior won't miss any rows ever again.

--
Many Thanks

Sue