Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel
- - is offline

Default SeriesCollection.(X)Values: locale settings specific?

Hello!

I am using VBA to make some hard coded charts:

[..]
.SeriesCollection.NewSeries
.SeriesCollection(i).Name = "MyName"
.SeriesCollection(i).XValues = MyXValues(param1)
.SeriesCollection(i).Values = MyYValues(param2)
[..]

where MyXValues and MyYValues are functions returning strings of the
form
"={0,0.1,0.2,0.3,0.4}" or the like.

This works fine on my English Windows & English or German Excel
computer,
but not on my colleagues´ German? Windows & Excel..

From the "Source Data" form of the wrongly displayed charts on their

computers
I can see things like:
"={0.0.1.0.2.0.3.0.4.0.5}" or "={0\0.1\0.2\0.3}

I can only think of different locale (language specific) settings that
make my strings
misinterpreted..

Any experience in this topic? Any idea where the correct description
of this Strings
may be? other separators (which are non-language specific) allowed?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

Try applying the actual arrays rather than as a string array formulas, to
..Values & .XValues. This would mean adapting your existing functions.

Although not related, either method can fail if the resultant string array
formula exceeds 255 characters or perhaps a bit less.

Regards,
Peter T

"-" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello!

I am using VBA to make some hard coded charts:

[..]
.SeriesCollection.NewSeries
.SeriesCollection(i).Name = "MyName"
.SeriesCollection(i).XValues = MyXValues(param1)
.SeriesCollection(i).Values = MyYValues(param2)
[..]

where MyXValues and MyYValues are functions returning strings of the
form
"={0,0.1,0.2,0.3,0.4}" or the like.

This works fine on my English Windows & English or German Excel
computer,
but not on my colleagues´ German? Windows & Excel..

From the "Source Data" form of the wrongly displayed charts on their

computers
I can see things like:
"={0.0.1.0.2.0.3.0.4.0.5}" or "={0\0.1\0.2\0.3}

I can only think of different locale (language specific) settings that
make my strings
misinterpreted..

Any experience in this topic? Any idea where the correct description
of this Strings
may be? other separators (which are non-language specific) allowed?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

Stephen Bullen has written a chapter on International Issues in Excel 2002
VBA Programmer's Reference which he co-authored, and that happens to be the
sample chapter posted on his web site:

http://oaltd.co.uk/ExcelProgRef/Ch22/ProgRefCh22.htm

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"-" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello!

I am using VBA to make some hard coded charts:

[..]
.SeriesCollection.NewSeries
.SeriesCollection(i).Name = "MyName"
.SeriesCollection(i).XValues = MyXValues(param1)
.SeriesCollection(i).Values = MyYValues(param2)
[..]

where MyXValues and MyYValues are functions returning strings of the
form
"={0,0.1,0.2,0.3,0.4}" or the like.

This works fine on my English Windows & English or German Excel
computer,
but not on my colleagues´ German? Windows & Excel..

From the "Source Data" form of the wrongly displayed charts on their

computers
I can see things like:
"={0.0.1.0.2.0.3.0.4.0.5}" or "={0\0.1\0.2\0.3}

I can only think of different locale (language specific) settings that
make my strings
misinterpreted..

Any experience in this topic? Any idea where the correct description
of this Strings
may be? other separators (which are non-language specific) allowed?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel
- - is offline

On Jul 11, 12:42 pm, "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions wrote:
Try applying the actual arrays rather than as a string array formulas, to
.Values & .XValues. This would mean adapting your existing functions.

That worked just fined. Thanks for info, which I couldn´t find
anywhere else!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel
- - is offline

On Jul 11, 3:31 pm, "Jon Peltier"
wrote:
Stephen Bullen has written a chapter on International Issues in Excel 2002
VBA Programmer's Reference which he co-authored, and that happens to be the
sample chapter posted on his web site:

http://oaltd.co.uk/ExcelProgRef/Ch22/ProgRefCh22.htm

Thanks!
Your hint has also been very useful, as I create these arrays from
user input which has different local settings eg. 1,0 vs 1.0 for
decimal separator.