Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Newsreader Question

My old computer had Outlook Express, which I used as a newreader for
the Excel groups. My new computer doesn't have Outlook Express but
does have regular Outlook. Can I use Outlook for a newsreader without
using it for e-mail? I want AOL to remain my application for e-mail.
Win XP and Office XP (2003).
Thanks, James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Outlook won't read newsgroups without help -- there are addins for Outlook that
can do it.

But are you sure your pc doesn't have OE? Maybe you just haven't installed
it--or set it up.

Or maybe you're using Vista and Windows Mail???

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...a19a31033.mspx

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Outlook Express is included with Internet Explorer.
If you have IE then you have OE...
Start | Run | msimn.exe.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Zone"
wrote in message
My old computer had Outlook Express, which I used as a newreader for
the Excel groups. My new computer doesn't have Outlook Express but
does have regular Outlook. Can I use Outlook for a newsreader without
using it for e-mail? I want AOL to remain my application for e-mail.
Win XP and Office XP (2003).
Thanks, James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you have a WIN XP machine, just install Outlook Express

If you are running Vista / Windows Mail, then:

Go to Tools | Accounts | Add | News.

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200732

"Zone" wrote:

My old computer had Outlook Express, which I used as a newreader for
the Excel groups. My new computer doesn't have Outlook Express but
does have regular Outlook. Can I use Outlook for a newsreader without
using it for e-mail? I want AOL to remain my application for e-mail.
Win XP and Office XP (2003).
Thanks, James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you, Dave Jim and Gary. I tried Jim's suggestion and voila,
Outlook Express does exist on this computer.
I'd like to ask a question about getting OE up and running.
OE presents me with a form asking:
- My Incoming Mail is a (POP3, IMAP, HTTP) server.
- Incoming Mail (POP3, IMAP, HTTP)
"An SMTP server is the server that is used for your outgoing e-
mail."
- Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server:

This is all "geek to me". I have cable high-speed internet. Any
help?

Also, how do I enter the path for the Excel Programming newgroup?

Many thanks,
James

On Jun 21, 9:29?am, "Jim Cone" wrote:
Outlook Express is included with Internet Explorer.
If you have IE then you have OE...
Start | Run | msimn.exe.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USAhttp://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware

"Zone"
wrote in message
My old computer had Outlook Express, which I used as a newreader for
the Excel groups. My new computer doesn't have Outlook Express but
does have regular Outlook. Can I use Outlook for a newsreader without
using it for e-mail? I want AOL to remain my application for e-mail.
Win XP and Office XP (2003).
Thanks, James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You will probably have to talk to your ISP to get those addresses.
One of these should take you the rest of the way...
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tutorials/oe_ng/
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

wrote in message
My old computer had Outlook Express, which I used as a newreader for
the Excel groups. My new computer doesn't have Outlook Express but
does have regular Outlook. Can I use Outlook for a newsreader without
using it for e-mail? I want AOL to remain my application for e-mail.
Win XP and Office XP (2003).
Thanks, James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you still want to use AOL as your email client, then don't touch those mail
settings. And don't create an email account inside OE.

Saved from a previous post:

If you have Outlook Express installed, try clicking on these links (or copy and
paste into MSIE).

(and a few more for MSWord)

(You can always connect to more later)

Here are some links that explain it better:

Chip Pearson has some notes written by Leonard Meads at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DirectConnect.htm

David McRitchie's notes at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6nws01.htm

Tushar Mehta's notes at:
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tut...e_ng/index.htm

And if you're looking for old posts:

Or you can use google (maybe a few hours behind) to search for stuff you've
posted (and find the replies, too)

http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...Excel*&num=100

Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm