Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default setting up library check out

Our preschool recently barcoded library books and library cards. The
barcoding system purchased doesn't include (without buying more software) a
way to record books taken out and by whom. I set up a system on Excel 2003
to have the first column the book and the next column the library card #.
It works fine but we have volunteers come in to "man" the computer and
sometimes they forget to go down to the next row at the beginning to list the
next book. Is there a way I can get the cursor back down to the beginning of
the next row after inputting a book and card #? I changed the cursor to move
to the right instead of down....but now I need something to automatically set
it to the next row. I've looked through the help area of Exel...and even
thought of trying to write a macro (in the process of doing Microsoft's on
line course). Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have the summer to
get it ready for September!

Thanks,
Karen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could unlock columns A and B then protect the sheet.

With cursor set to move right upon entry...........

User enters a book in A1 and hits ENTER will move to B1 to enter card number.

Hit ENTER and move to A2.

To unlock Columns A and B select them and FormatCellsProtection. Uncheck
"locked"

To protect the sheet.....ToolsOptionsProtectionProtect Sheet.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:08:00 -0700, KJP692
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks so much! It sounds like it is just what I needed and will try it out
on my computer. I knew there had to be a simpler solution than doing a
macro!! Thanks! Our students, teachers and parents will appreciate your
help.

Karen

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've hit a snag...

I tried the steps listed, and it doesn't seem to work. Perhaps I'm doing
something wrong. But I did realize while trying it over and over that just
highlighting columns A and B makes the cursor go just the way I want it to.
Would doing just that work or should I continue to try unlocking the columns
and protecting the sheet?

Thanks,
Karen