Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Copy range to / from CSV file

I receive a CSV file each morning and have to copy range E2:E22 and copy it
to a XLS sheet (calculator) range H2:H22 then copy I2:I22 form the XLS sheet
to a second CSV file range F2:F22.

I assume that this is probably not too difficult but not quite sure where to
begin, other than the macro would have to be in the XLS file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Start by recording a macro whilst perform those actions.
This will give you the basic code.

If the filenames remain constant, that will work.
If they change each day, check the help for GetOpenFileName and incorporate
it into your code.

NickHK

"blackbox via OfficeKB.com" <u20390@uwe wrote in message
I receive a CSV file each morning and have to copy range E2:E22 and copy

it
to a XLS sheet (calculator) range H2:H22 then copy I2:I22 form the XLS

sheet
to a second CSV file range F2:F22.

I assume that this is probably not too difficult but not quite sure where

begin, other than the macro would have to be in the XLS file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tried to record a macro copying from the CSV and pasting to the xls but got
an error message

run-time error '1004':
Paste method of Worksheet class failed

This is the code generated

Sub import()
'
' import Macro
' Macro recorded 6/14/2007 by Administrator
'

'
Range("E2").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
End Sub

I also tried a drag and drop without any luck

NickHK wrote:
Start by recording a macro whilst perform those actions.
This will give you the basic code.

If the filenames remain constant, that will work.
If they change each day, check the help for GetOpenFileName and incorporate
it into your code.

NickHK

I receive a CSV file each morning and have to copy range E2:E22 and copy it
to a XLS sheet (calculator) range H2:H22 then copy I2:I22 form the XLS sheet

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You are opening the .csv in Excel ?
If not, then E2:E22 means nothing.

If you are opening in Excel, then the macro recorder will get the file name
and copy/paste actions.

NickHK wrote:
Start by recording a macro whilst perform those actions.
This will give you the basic code.

If the filenames remain constant, that will work.
If they change each day, check the help for GetOpenFileName and

incorporate
it into your code.

NickHK

I receive a CSV file each morning and have to copy range E2:E22 and

copy it
to a XLS sheet (calculator) range H2:H22 then copy I2:I22 form the XLS

sheet
[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

i recorder the macro in the xls, open the csv. copied, pasted to the xls

i had hoped it would recognize the different workbooks

NickHK wrote:
You are opening the .csv in Excel ?
If not, then E2:E22 means nothing.

If you are opening in Excel, then the macro recorder will get the file name
and copy/paste actions.

NickHK

I tried to record a macro copying from the CSV and pasting to the xls but got
an error message

[quoted text clipped - 31 lines]

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

But do you open the csv IN Excel ?
If you open the .csv in another program before you copy, then Excel has no
way to know what you are doing.

Excel can open csv natively, in case you did not know.

NickHK wrote:
You are opening the .csv in Excel ?
If not, then E2:E22 means nothing.

If you are opening in Excel, then the macro recorder will get the file

name
and copy/paste actions.

NickHK

I tried to record a macro copying from the CSV and pasting to the xls

but got
an error message

[quoted text clipped - 31 lines]

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

i do open it in excel, however I have been opening it in a second excel
window so I can view them side by side.

is that the problem?

NickHK wrote:
But do you open the csv IN Excel ?
If you open the .csv in another program before you copy, then Excel has no
way to know what you are doing.

Excel can open csv natively, in case you did not know.

NickHK

i recorder the macro in the xls, open the csv. copied, pasted to the xls

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you mean a second instance of Excel ?
Look in the task manager and see how many Excel you have.

Also post the code that you have for the opening and copy/paste so far.