Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Send info to other apps from Excel

We use JD Edwards World as our accounting & payroll system, and spend a lot
of time re-keying information from hardcopies of forms (e.g. €śEmployee Setup
Information Form€ť) into various screens in JD Edwards (via iSeries Access for
Windows).

Heres my question: if we make these forms Excel-based, could we use VBA or
some scripting mechanism to retrieve data from the various cells on the form
and automatically send/enter it to the JDE screens? It would save a lot of
time, and should improve accuracy.

Two background notes: (1) I am pretty familiar with VBA for Excel, but not
with any other programming languages, (2) we proposed doing this via a direct
ODBC link into JDE, but our IT dept was too concerned with security issues.

Any pointers on a good way to go about doing this? Can it be done with VBA
alone, or would it require another scripting language, or a 3rd-party
application (and if so, any recommendations)?

If this question is better suited for another newsgroup, please let me know.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use AppActivate to start the external app with focus and try SendKeys
sequences to operate the app like a marionette

see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/de.../D6/S5B2A7.asp

or any of several msdn articles

--

[...]