Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Download SQL sproc to Excel

Can anyone give me an easy way to provide an excel spreadsheet to
third parties with command buttons that would import various "tables"
of data from SQL stored procedures, but without giving them my SQL
connection information - ie with the SQL connection data "hard coded"
into the command buttons but not visible to the user?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tim Tim is offline

You could just password protect your VBA code, but this is well-known to be
next to useless protection against anyone who wants to get at it.

What kind of "third parties" do you mean - people at your company, or anyone
?

You could at least limit your exposure by creating a read-only account and
only giving it the minimum access rights: only allow that account to run the
stored procedures and nothing else.

Or create some kind of "web service" to centralize the data access in one
place and just have the excel files load from a URL.

Or put your database code in a dll.

Tim

"NeilR" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone give me an easy way to provide an excel spreadsheet to
third parties with command buttons that would import various "tables"
of data from SQL stored procedures, but without giving them my SQL
connection information - ie with the SQL connection data "hard coded"
into the command buttons but not visible to the user?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tim Tim is offline

Or create some kind of "web service" to centralize the data access in one
place and just have the excel files load from a URL.

should be "have the excel files load *the data* from a URL."

Tim

"Tim" <tim j williams at gmail dot com wrote in message
You could just password protect your VBA code, but this is well-known to
be next to useless protection against anyone who wants to get at it.

What kind of "third parties" do you mean - people at your company, or
anyone ?

You could at least limit your exposure by creating a read-only account and
only giving it the minimum access rights: only allow that account to run
the stored procedures and nothing else.

Or create some kind of "web service" to centralize the data access in one
place and just have the excel files load from a URL.

Or put your database code in a dll.

Tim

"NeilR" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone give me an easy way to provide an excel spreadsheet to
third parties with command buttons that would import various "tables"
of data from SQL stored procedures, but without giving them my SQL
connection information - ie with the SQL connection data "hard coded"
into the command buttons but not visible to the user?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On May 22, 7:35 am, "Tim" <tim j williams at gmail dot com wrote:
[...]

"NeilR" wrote in message
roups.com...
Can anyone give me an easy way to provide an excel spreadsheet to
third parties with command buttons that would import various "tables"
of data from SQL stored procedures, but without giving them my SQL
connection information - ie with the SQL connection data "hard coded"
into the command buttons but not visible to the user?- Hide quoted text -

I've been off sick for a while but will try the web service route -
sounds like a good idea - why didn't I think of it?! Thank you for
your help.

items chosen to download are NEVER all there after download comple jwhitehurst New Users to Excel 3 November 9th 07 04:00 PM
how do I download excel itself Annie Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 August 30th 06 10:58 AM
download excel Lyn New Users to Excel 5 August 25th 06 08:39 PM
Excel won't let me download anything jnwinton Charts and Charting in Excel 0 July 7th 05 12:40 AM
Help with a sproc using a xml input parm Pedro Moreno Excel Programming 0 March 4th 05 07:57 PM