Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Naming Cells

I want to name a range of cells with the name 3YEAR but it will not allow a
number to start the name. Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance of any help.

John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi John,

Afraid not, try YEAR3 or _3YEAR

There are other restrictions too as to how you can name a Name

Regards,
Peter T

"John Davies" wrote in message
I want to name a range of cells with the name 3YEAR but it will not allow

number to start the name. Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance of any help.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In my years of programming, I found a lot of different things don't like to
start with a numeric character, so I by default use an alpha character for
naming purposes. Another fine example of this restriction is tables names
within databases. Another example though never really had tried it myself,
but remember ready about it is variable names. But then I wouldn't be
starting with a numeric character anyhow for naming variables given one of
the predefined type variable naming rules that I use for naming variables to
help avoid confusion when reading code.

I'm not really sure why it's setup like that, but it seems to be a
uninversal programming rule not to start names with a numeric character.

If you are thinking of something like a 3 year plan, then maybe you need to
use something like PLAN_3YEAR, which is different from PLAN_YEAR3, as that
could be interpretted as being the 3rd year into the plan. I'm guessing
that's why you wanted to get around the issue.

--

Sincerely,

Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.
Master MOUS 2000