Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Steve

Default Naming cells...

How can I use the same cell name on different worksheets within the same
workbook?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=Sheet2!A1

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Steve" wrote in message
How can I use the same cell name on different worksheets within the same
workbook?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

You have to use local range names. How do you create a local range name?,
you ask.

While on Sheet 1call up the Insert Names dialog and type in Sheet1!TestName
and select a range to apply it to. When you click on Add you'll see it
entered into the listing of names with the Sheet1 designation off to the
right.

"Steve" wrote:

How can I use the same cell name on different worksheets within the same
workbook?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

No, one RangeName refers to one range within the workbook, but you can use
modifications as I do, like "SunburstGold", SunburstBlue", "SunburstRed", etc
etc
They are actually three different ranges on different sheets, just the
similarity in names helps me to remember what they are............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve" wrote:

How can I use the same cell name on different worksheets within the same
workbook?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Let's see if I understand what you're asking for.....

If you want each sheet to have a cell named "NewRate" that refers to Cell A1
on the current sheet.....

Try this:
Select the cell A1
Then...in the Name Box (just above the Col_A heading)...if your sheet is
Sheet3, type this: Sheet3!NewRate
Press [Enter]

On Sheet 4, you'd name the cell Sheet4!NewRate, etc

Now, whenever you refer to the range NewRate (without the sheet reference),
the formula will point to the cell with that name on the same sheet the
formula is on.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Steve" wrote:

How can I use the same cell name on different worksheets within the same
workbook?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Steve

Thanks Bob, but maybe I didn't explain my problem adequately.

I have a workbook with multiple worksheets. Each worksheet contains year
specific information and the worksheets are named "2005", "2004", "2003" and
so on. In worksheet "2004", I can name a cell "CashTotal", which I then want
to reference in other cells, formulas etc exclusively in worksheet "2004".

Hopefully all is clear so far, Now comes the tricky bit.

I also want a cell named "CashTotal" in worksheet "2005", which I then want
to reference in other cells, formulas etc exclusively in worksheet "2005".

Any ideas?

Steve

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
=Sheet2!A1

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Steve" wrote in message
How can I use the same cell name on different worksheets within the same
workbook?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Steve

Bob and other respondents on this thread,

Please excuse my stupidity in not interpreting your original reply
correctly. When I enter "2005!CashTotal" in the cell name box I do indeed
generate a "2005" worksheet specific name.

Many thanks to all who helped this idiot see a little more clearly

Steve