Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Visibility of contents in a merged cell

Hi

First I explain below what I did;

I merged cells from a1 to e17.

Formatting : Left, Top and yes for wrapping.

Then I kept key 'i' until the cell got filled up.

The problems(2)

First when I click the merged cell I am not able to view the full cell
contents. Accidently only I was able to ascertain the characters after the
1050th character can only be viewed by going into the cell. Cannot I change
this?

The other problem is just like in this message box I want to move onto the
next lines in the merged cell by pressing enter or by pressing some other
key. I like my merged cell to behave just like ms word or this message box.

Could any one solve my problems?

Many Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can enter 32767 characters in a cell but by default only 1024 of these
characters will show or print.

Merging many cells into one large cell does not make the cell characteristics
any different than a single cell. Just makes it look larger but has the same
constraints.

Find a different method like using a textbox.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 15 May 2007 11:30:00 -0700, Varne
wrote:

Hi

First I explain below what I did;

I merged cells from a1 to e17.

Formatting : Left, Top and yes for wrapping.

Then I kept key 'i' until the cell got filled up.

The problems(2)

First when I click the merged cell I am not able to view the full cell
contents. Accidently only I was able to ascertain the characters after the
1050th character can only be viewed by going into the cell. Cannot I change
this?

The other problem is just like in this message box I want to move onto the
next lines in the merged cell by pressing enter or by pressing some other
key. I like my merged cell to behave just like ms word or this message box.

Could any one solve my problems?

Many Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gord Dibben

Hi

Cannot the default setting be reset to say 10000 characters? If so how?

Regards

Varne

wrote:

Hi

First I explain below what I did;

I merged cells from a1 to e17.

Formatting : Left, Top and yes for wrapping.

Then I kept key 'i' until the cell got filled up.

The problems(2)

First when I click the merged cell I am not able to view the full cell
contents. Accidently only I was able to ascertain the characters after the
1050th character can only be viewed by going into the cell. Cannot I change
this?

The other problem is just like in this message box I want to move onto the
next lines in the merged cell by pressing enter or by pressing some other
key. I like my merged cell to behave just like ms word or this message box.

Could any one solve my problems?

Many Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The default is 1024 and cannot be reset but there are workarounds like adding an
Alt + Enter every 100 chars.

And formatting tricks.

See Harlan's response at this thread.

http://snipurl.com/1kqre

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

wrote:

Hi

First I explain below what I did;

I merged cells from a1 to e17.

Formatting : Left, Top and yes for wrapping.

Then I kept key 'i' until the cell got filled up.

The problems(2)

First when I click the merged cell I am not able to view the full cell
contents. Accidently only I was able to ascertain the characters after the
1050th character can only be viewed by going into the cell. Cannot I change
this?

The other problem is just like in this message box I want to move onto the
next lines in the merged cell by pressing enter or by pressing some other
key. I like my merged cell to behave just like ms word or this message box.

Could any one solve my problems?

Many Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gord Dibben

Hi

Yes. Alt + Enter definitly helped. Thanks. But as you say the restriction on
my project can be alleviated by using a text box. I know how to link a text
box with a cell content. But not the other way around. Let me explain.

I will enter text onto a text box.

I need a macro to post that onto a particular cell.

The macro I tried just did that but if I enter different text the macro is
not adapting. It writes the old text again into the cell. I am at it. if you
do not mind please tell me where I am going wrong.

Again many thanks. You have given a solution to my original problem.

Regards

M Varnendra