-   -   Visibility of contents in a merged cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/389457-visibility-contents-merged-cell.html)

Varne

Visibility of contents in a merged cell

Hi

First I explain below what I did;

I merged cells from a1 to e17.

Formatting : Left, Top and yes for wrapping.

Then I kept key 'i' until the cell got filled up.

The problems(2)

First when I click the merged cell I am not able to view the full cell
contents. Accidently only I was able to ascertain the characters after the
1050th character can only be viewed by going into the cell. Cannot I change
this?

The other problem is just like in this message box I want to move onto the
next lines in the merged cell by pressing enter or by pressing some other
key. I like my merged cell to behave just like ms word or this message box.

Could any one solve my problems?

Many Thanks.

Gord Dibben

Visibility of contents in a merged cell

You can enter 32767 characters in a cell but by default only 1024 of these
characters will show or print.

Merging many cells into one large cell does not make the cell characteristics
any different than a single cell. Just makes it look larger but has the same
constraints.

Find a different method like using a textbox.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 15 May 2007 11:30:00 -0700, Varne
wrote:

[...]

Cannot the default setting be reset to say 10000 characters? If so how?

Regards

Varne

wrote:

Hi

First I explain below what I did;

I merged cells from a1 to e17.

Formatting : Left, Top and yes for wrapping.

Then I kept key 'i' until the cell got filled up.

The problems(2)

First when I click the merged cell I am not able to view the full cell
contents. Accidently only I was able to ascertain the characters after the
1050th character can only be viewed by going into the cell. Cannot I change
this?

The other problem is just like in this message box I want to move onto the
next lines in the merged cell by pressing enter or by pressing some other
key. I like my merged cell to behave just like ms word or this message box.

Could any one solve my problems?

Many Thanks.

Gord Dibben

Visibility of contents in a merged cell

The default is 1024 and cannot be reset but there are workarounds like adding an
Alt + Enter every 100 chars.

And formatting tricks.

See Harlan's response at this thread.

http://snipurl.com/1kqre

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

wrote:

[...]

Yes. Alt + Enter definitly helped. Thanks. But as you say the restriction on
my project can be alleviated by using a text box. I know how to link a text
box with a cell content. But not the other way around. Let me explain.

I will enter text onto a text box.

I need a macro to post that onto a particular cell.

The macro I tried just did that but if I enter different text the macro is
not adapting. It writes the old text again into the cell. I am at it. if you
do not mind please tell me where I am going wrong.

Again many thanks. You have given a solution to my original problem.

Regards

M Varnendra