Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Workbooks with links to each other

I need some expert help on this one....

I have 2 workbooks with links to each other. (ie some cells in Workbook 'A'
link to Workbook 'B' and some cells in Workbook 'B' link to Workbook 'A').
Both workbooks need passwords to open them. On open of Workbook 'A', I do not
want the user to be prompted to update the links from Workbook 'B' but I want
the links to be updated.

I hope this in enough detail to go on. Any help will be greately appreciated.
--
Thanks.
Chuck M.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Edit, Links, Startup Prompt may help (Excel 2002-2003). Data tab,
Connections, Edit Links in Excel 2007.

--
Jim
"Chuck M" wrote in message
|I need some expert help on this one....
|
| I have 2 workbooks with links to each other. (ie some cells in Workbook
'A'
| link to Workbook 'B' and some cells in Workbook 'B' link to Workbook 'A').
| Both workbooks need passwords to open them. On open of Workbook 'A', I do
not
| want the user to be prompted to update the links from Workbook 'B' but I
want
| the links to be updated.
|
| I hope this in enough detail to go on. Any help will be greately
appreciated.
| --
| Thanks.
| Chuck M.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the reply Jim. ToolsOptionsEdit uncheck Ask to update
Automatic links. Took care of the prompt for me. I have another issue
related to this however. Workbook B is password protected. Is there a way
through VBA to pass the password wo Workbook B? I don't want the users of
workbook A to have that password.
--
Thanks.
Chuck M.

"Chuck M" wrote in message
|I need some expert help on this one....
|
| I have 2 workbooks with links to each other. (ie some cells in Workbook
'A'
| link to Workbook 'B' and some cells in Workbook 'B' link to Workbook 'A').
| Both workbooks need passwords to open them. On open of Workbook 'A', I do
not
| want the user to be prompted to update the links from Workbook 'B' but I
want
| the links to be updated.
|
| I hope this in enough detail to go on. Any help will be greately
appreciated.
| --
| Thanks.
| Chuck M.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you're asking if you can include the password in the code that opens a
workbook, yes you can:

Workbooks.Open "c:\WorkbookWithPassword.xls", UpdateLinks:=True,
Password:="password"

--
Jim
"Chuck M" wrote in message
| Thanks for the reply Jim. ToolsOptionsEdit uncheck Ask to update
| Automatic links. Took care of the prompt for me. I have another issue
| related to this however. Workbook B is password protected. Is there a way
| through VBA to pass the password wo Workbook B? I don't want the users of
| workbook A to have that password.
| --
| Thanks.
| Chuck M.
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| Edit, Links, Startup Prompt may help (Excel 2002-2003). Data tab,
| Connections, Edit Links in Excel 2007.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Chuck M" wrote in message
| |I need some expert help on this one....
| |
| | I have 2 workbooks with links to each other. (ie some cells in
Workbook
| 'A'
| | link to Workbook 'B' and some cells in Workbook 'B' link to Workbook
'A').
| | Both workbooks need passwords to open them. On open of Workbook 'A', I
do
| not
| | want the user to be prompted to update the links from Workbook 'B' but
| want
| | the links to be updated.
| |
| | I hope this in enough detail to go on. Any help will be greately
| appreciated.
| | --
| | Thanks.
| | Chuck M.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is what I needed Jim. Thanks for your help.
--
Thanks.
Chuck M.

"Chuck M" wrote in message
| Thanks for the reply Jim. ToolsOptionsEdit uncheck Ask to update
| Automatic links. Took care of the prompt for me. I have another issue
| related to this however. Workbook B is password protected. Is there a way
| through VBA to pass the password wo Workbook B? I don't want the users of
| workbook A to have that password.
| --
| Thanks.
| Chuck M.
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| Edit, Links, Startup Prompt may help (Excel 2002-2003). Data tab,
| Connections, Edit Links in Excel 2007.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Chuck M" wrote in message
| |I need some expert help on this one....
| |
| | I have 2 workbooks with links to each other. (ie some cells in
Workbook
| 'A'
| | link to Workbook 'B' and some cells in Workbook 'B' link to Workbook
'A').
| | Both workbooks need passwords to open them. On open of Workbook 'A', I
do
| not
| | want the user to be prompted to update the links from Workbook 'B' but
| want
| | the links to be updated.
| |