Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Autonumber?

Does Excel 2003 (XP) have an auto-numbering function like MS-Access's
AutoNumber? If so, what's its scope: workbook, sheet, row/column, cell?
Gracie!
Trent Argante
[DC.J(510)]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In Excel you use a formula (or fill down) to populate a cell with an
incrementing number. e.g. Cell A1 = "1"
Cell A2 = "=A1+1"

Copy this formula down the sheet.

MH

"Trent Argante" wrote in message
Does Excel 2003 (XP) have an auto-numbering function like MS-Access's
AutoNumber? If so, what's its scope: workbook, sheet, row/column, cell?
Gracie!
Trent Argante
[DC.J(510)]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks MH.
I'm looking more for an internal sequential tracking number that's not
based on an in-cell formula. I need the sequential number to eventually
be hard-written to that row so that row deletion/insertion has no effect
on the sequential number assigned to a given row.
Trent Argante
[DC.J(510)]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It sounds like you are trying to use a spreadsheet as a database, can you
give me some more information about what you are doing and why you are doing
it in Excel?

If it's a case of having to use Excel for this but you need db functionality
then VBA is the way to go - but it's going to get messy if you have to code
for inserts, updates and deletes.

MH

"Trent Argante" wrote in message
Thanks MH.
I'm looking more for an internal sequential tracking number that's not
based on an in-cell formula. I need the sequential number to eventually
be hard-written to that row so that row deletion/insertion has no effect
on the sequential number assigned to a given row.
Trent Argante
[DC.J(510)]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

MH,

You are right on target. The "messiness" is exactly what I was trying
to avoid by seeing if Excel already had that MS-Access AutoNumber type
of capability. Unfortunately, a database is not an option at this time.
So, I'll just have to put the ol' boots on, and dive into the
you-know-what! =;O)

Thanks for your help, MH. I appreciate it.

Trent Argante
[DC.J(510)]