Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default A Simple Block Diagram UserInterface

Does any body know how to implement a simple block diagram user interface in
Excel.

Here is a simplified version of what I have in mind.

Say I have a palette consisting of a few blocks represented by some icons,
say a circle, triangle, square, etc.

that the user can choose from.

I want the user to be able to create a (horizontal) chain of these blocks in
any order (say 1-20 blocks in length) either by dragging the blocks from a
palette with a mouse, or by choosing insert from a list. For example I might
have a horizontal row of touching icons in any order, say
square-circle-circle-tirangle-etc.

I then want to be able to click on each block and fill in actual values for
a common set of parameters: say price, temperature, weight, etc. I also want
to be able to change the order of blocks by dragging a block into a
different position and insert and delete blocks, if I decide the order is
not right for some reason.

In the end all that matters is how many blocks are in the chain, what type
and order each one block is

and of course the entered set of paramters.

Then I copy the parameters to a table and do some basic calculations on the
data, and generate output results in tablular and grapical format.

Is this possible? Can anyone point me to a link with examples?

Thanks,

John.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello John,

I understand that you want to develop a user form in Excel.

I did not find the sample to implement what you request but I could provide
some reference about build a User form in Excel.

The Course Booking Form
http://www.exceltip.com/st/Create_Us...Excel/629.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Wei,

thanks for the link, but what I am looking for is little more
specific/advanced.

What I want is a UserForm that can be modified at run time.
I want to be able to drag blocks (perhaps CommandButtons) onto a 1-D grid.
I also want to be able to shuffle the order of the blocks by dragging,
I also want to be able to delete blocks.

When I click on the block I want to be able to type in a list of parameters
that will move with the blocks.

I guess I am trying to create a linked list where the number and order of
the records is specified by a sting of blocks
that the user graphically positions.

Originally, I had thought about creating it directly on a sheet, but perhaps
in UserForm would be better.

I guess I need to keep thinking about it until I come up with something.
Perhaps someone has created a simple graphical interface like this for a
database application?

Best Regards
John

"Wei Lu [MSFT]" wrote in message
Hello John,

I understand that you want to develop a user form in Excel.

I did not find the sample to implement what you request but I could

provide
some reference about build a User form in Excel.

The Course Booking Form
http://www.exceltip.com/st/Create_Us...Excel/629.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

rights.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello John,

Actually, it is not so simple.

To Drag and drop within VBA, you could refer this article:

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/arch...php/t-454.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi ,

How is everything going? Please feel free to let me know if you need any
assistance.