Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default XlTable format with Unicode

Does the XlTable format (for DDE with Excel) allow passing Unicode
strings, and if so, how is it done?

Thanks
Chris Trengove

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Chris,

I understand that you want to know whether the XLTable support Unicode.

Currently, I am performing research on this. I appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Chris,

I still did not get the confirm information from internal team. I
appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Chris,

I did not get response from internal team since there are little resource
for the XlTable.

Could you please let me know what's the problem you face?

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Wei Lu,

I have been away for a couple of weeks, but I am still interested in
finding a solution to this issue.

Thanks
Chris

Wei Lu [MSFT] wrote:

Hello Chris,

I still did not get the confirm information from internal team. I
appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

rights.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Wei Lu,

The XlTable format can be received by Excel when performing DDE
operations; in fact it is often recommended for use because it is
supposed to be fast. The format consists of a concatenated sequence of
records. Each type of record begins with a single byte to indicate the
type of record. Strings appear with 0x02 (floating point numbers are
0x01, etc). Strings are then encoded with a length word, followed by
the string bytes themselves.

So, my question is, if the strings are Unicode (requiring two bytes per
character), what happens then? Is there is a separate record type? Or
is there some trick to enable Excel to receive the Unicode string using
the
regular (0x02) string record? Or is it just not possible?

Thanks
Chris

Wei Lu [MSFT] wrote:

Hello Chris,

I did not get response from internal team since there are little
resource for the XlTable.

Could you please let me know what's the problem you face?

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

rights.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Chris,

Well, DDE is existing since Windows 3.0, it is too old that I could find
little documents on it.

Finally, I found a internal KB explain the XlTable Format.

Here is an example:the Fast DDE Table for a selection consisting of three
cells in a row, containing the strings "East", "West", and "North",
respectively, will resemble the following:

10 00 04 00 01 00 03 00 - tdtTable, 4, 1, 3
02 00 10 00 - tdtString, 16
04 45 61 73 74 - 4, East
04 57 65 73 74 - 4, West
05 4e 6f 72 74 68 - 5, North

I don't think it support Unicode because when DDE existed, there is no
unicode yet. So the designer of DDE did not consider it.

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi ,

How is everything going? Please feel free to let me know if you need any
assistance.