Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VLOOKUPS

Hi,
I'm looking to create a vlookup that will extract data from within a cell
that matches with something found in a range.

input cell range results cell
car cat dog farm car car
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi David,

See Debra Dalgleish's VLooup tutorial at:

Excel -- Worksheet Functions -- VLookup

---
Regards,
Norman

" wrote
in message ...
Hi,
I'm looking to create a vlookup that will extract data from within a cell
that matches with something found in a range.

input cell range results cell
car cat dog farm car car

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't see vlookup having a role in the scenario you describe

assumptions

B1: car cat dog farm

G1: car

H1: =IF(ISERROR(SEARCH(G1,B1,1)),"",G1)

But I may be misinterpreting the question.

Tom Ogilvy

" wrote:

Hi,
I'm looking to create a vlookup that will extract data from within a cell
that matches with something found in a range.

input cell range results cell
car cat dog farm car car

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the help. That said, what if both B1 and G1 were in a range.

ex:

Column A Column B Column C
car cat dog farm spaceship car
ship boat rock sand car
apple orange banana wallet

Here Car shows up in row one Column C because row 1 of column A has car
within the data set.

thanks,
David Kim

" wrote:

Hi,
I'm looking to create a vlookup that will extract data from within a cell
that matches with something found in a range.

input cell range results cell
car cat dog farm car car

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

your checking what against what?

Are you breaking apart all the entries in A1 and seeing if they match
anything in B1:B3?

what if there is more than one match.

or are you checking all the entries in column B against all the entires in
column A and only one was found, so that was place in the first row in C.

" wrote:

Hi,
I'm looking to create a vlookup that will extract data from within a cell
that matches with something found in a range.

input cell range results cell
car cat dog farm car car

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

" wrote:

Hi,
I'm looking to create a vlookup that will extract data from within a cell
that matches with something found in a range.

input cell range results cell
car cat dog farm car car- Hide quoted text -

Are all values in column A unique or, can they be found more than once?