Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Check for a value before importing a row

Hi everyone,

I have two workbooks: Source and Destination.

I use the following code to import a single row of data from Source
workbook, "Copreco Daily Reading Submission" Sheet 1, into the Destination
Workbook, Copreco Master Log, Sheet "Daily Reading Master Log"

Issue: I need to capture the date value in "Copreco Daily Reading
Submission," Sheet 1 (Column A, Row 2), and make sure "Copreco Master Log",
Sheet "Daily Reading Master Log", Column B, does not contain that date. If
it does, cancel process, otherwise, continue with process.

I have figured out how to search for a value while in the same the workbook,
but am not sure how to do this with two workbooks. Any assistance would be
really great.

'code --------------------------------------------------------------------

Sub CopyFromCoprecoReading()
'these have to do with THIS workbook
'name of the sheet to get data from
Const destSheet = "Daily Reading Master Log" ' in HQ master workbook
'****
'This is the name you want to give to the
'NEW workbook created each time to put new data
'into as set up this code will overwrite any
'existing file of this name without any warning.
Const newWorkbookName = "Copreco Daily Reading Submission.xls"
Const sourceSheet = "Sheet1"
'****
Dim sourceBook As String
Dim destBook As String
Dim maxLastRow As Long
Dim destLastRow As Long
Dim pathToUserDesktop As String
Dim filePath As Variant
Dim MLC As Integer ' loop counter
Dim myErrMsg As String

'this is the setup to 'map' cells from the
'Copreco Reading.xls file sheet to different
'columns in the HQ master workbook worksheet
'
'Declare an array to hold the pairs
'change the 10 to the actual number
'of cells that are to be copied
Dim Map() As String
'array elements Map(1,n) will hold
'the source column ID from Copreco Reading
'array elements Map(2,n) will hold
'the column they are to be copied to in
'the master workbook

'determine last possible row number
'based on version of Excel in use
maxLastRow = GetMaxLastRow()
'
'determine how many elements we need in the array

If (MsgBox("Import Daily Reading Submission, Continue?", vbYesNo) = vbYes)
Then

'borrow destLastRow for a moment
destLastRow = Worksheets("ColumnsMap").Range("B" &
maxLastRow).End(xlUp).Row
ReDim Map(1 To 2, 1 To (destLastRow - 3)) ' presumes row 4 has 1st entry
For MLC = LBound(Map, 2) To UBound(Map, 2)
If IsError(Worksheets("ColumnsMap").Range("B" & (MLC + 3))) Then
Map(1, MLC) = "#NA" ' to flag as problem later
Else
'seems good to go
Map(1, MLC) = Trim(Worksheets("ColumnsMap").Range("B" & (MLC +
3)))
End If
If IsError(Worksheets("ColumnsMap").Range("E" & (MLC + 3))) Then
Map(2, MLC) = "#NA" ' to flag as problem later
Else
Map(2, MLC) = Trim(Worksheets("ColumnsMap").Range("E" & (MLC +
3)))
End If
Next
'keeps screen from flickering
'speeds things up also
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
destBook = ThisWorkbook.Name
'build up the path to the user's desktop
'based on standard paths and Windows standards
'path is normally
' C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop
'our task is to determine the 'username' portion
'which is the Windows username (login name) which
'may be different than the Excel UserName
pathToUserDesktop = "C:\Documents and Settings\" & _
Get_Win_User_Name() & "\Desktop\" & newWorkbookName
'
'see if that workbook is where it is supposed to be
'
sourceBook = Dir$(pathToUserDesktop)
If sourceBook = "" Then
'it's not on the desktop
'have the user browse for it
filePath = Application.GetSaveAsFilename
If filePath = False Then
Exit Sub ' user cancelled
End If
pathToUserDesktop = filePath
End If
' open the 'Copreco Reading.xls' file
Workbooks.Open pathToUserDesktop
sourceBook = ActiveWorkbook.Name
Windows(sourceBook).Activate
Worksheets(sourceSheet).Activate

'get back over to this workbook
Windows(destBook).Activate
'to sheet to add data to
Worksheets(destSheet).Activate
'find out what row is available
destLastRow = 0
For MLC = LBound(Map, 2) To UBound(Map, 2)
If Map(2, MLC) < "#NA" Then
If Range(Map(2, MLC) & maxLastRow).End(xlUp).Row + 1
destLastRow Then
destLastRow = Range(Map(2, MLC) & maxLastRow).End(xlUp).Row
+ 1
Next
If destLastRow maxLastRow Then
MsgBox "No room in HQ Master Sheet to add entry. Aborting
operation.", _
vbOKOnly + vbCritical, "No Room on Sheet"
Exit Sub
ElseIf destLastRow = 0 Then
'could not come up with a valid column id for this workbook!
myErrMsg = "A rather serious problem has occured - cannot find
column references for "
myErrMsg = myErrMsg & "the Daily Reading Master Log sheet." & vbCrLf
myErrMsg = myErrMsg & "Data cannot be transferred. Please send a
copy of BOTH "
myErrMsg = myErrMsg & "workbooks (this one and the 'Copreco
Reading.xls' file to:" & vbCrLf
myErrMsg = myErrMsg & "
MsgBox myErrMsg, vbOKOnly + vbCritical, "Column ID Error - Aborting!"
Exit Sub
End If
'copy the data from Copreco Reading.xls to the HQ master book
For MLC = LBound(Map, 2) To UBound(Map, 2)
'this watches out for #NA entries in the array of column letters
If Map(1, MLC) < "#NA" And Map(2, MLC) < "#NA" Then
Workbooks(destBook).Worksheets(destSheet).Range(Ma p(2, MLC) &
destLastRow).Value = _
Workbooks(sourceBook).Worksheets(sourceSheet).Rang e(Map(1, MLC)
& 2).Value
End If
Next
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
'close the 'Copreco Reading.xls' file
'w/o saving any changes
Workbooks(sourceBook).Close False
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
'done
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
MsgBox "Copreco Reading Submission has been added to the Daily Master
Reading Log"
Else
Exit Sub

Carlee
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I did not set up a test on this, so you will have to test it. Let me
know if there is a problem.

Assumes both workbooks are open:
Sub ckDte()
Dim wkb1 as Workbook
Dim wkb2 as workbook
Set wkb1 = Workbooks("Corpreco Daily Reading Submission.xls")
Set wkb2 = workbooks("Corpreco Master Log.xls")
myDte = wkb1.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(2, 1).Value
For Each c In wkb2.Sheets("Daily Reading Master Log").Range("B2:B" & Cells
_(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row)
If c = myDte Then
MsgBox "Date Found"
Exit Sub
End If
Exit Sub

"Carlee" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

I am trying to help you.

where is the code of GetMaxLastRow() method?

Leung

"Carlee" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry...here is the code you requested:

Function GetMaxLastRow() As Long
If Val(Left(Application.Version, 2)) < 12 Then
'in pre-Excel 2007 version
GetMaxLastRow = Rows.Count
Else
'in Excel 2007 (or later?)
GetMaxLastRow = Rows.CountLarge
End If
End Function

--
Carlee

"Carlee" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi JLGWhiz,

I applied the sub procedure, and i got the following error:
Variable not Defined, and stops at 'myDate'

--
Carlee