Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Copy/Paste problem in Excel 2007

I've run into an Excel 2007 Copy & Paste problem that I thought I would
share with the group.

If you open an Excel 2003 (or earlier) workbook in Excel 2007 and that
workbook has data and formatting on one of its worksheets including having
some of its column widths set, and you then select all of the cells on the
worksheet and do a Copy and then switch to a brand new workbook and do a
Paste, the data and most of the formatting comes across OK.

However, the column widths may or may not be pasted depending on what kind
of workbook you are pasting into.

If you have told Excel that new workbooks are of type "Excel Workbook
(*.xlsx)" then the Paste will NOT bring along column widths. If the new
workbook is of type "Excel 97 - 2003 Workbook (*.xls)" then it WILL.

The behavior seems to be that if both the source and target workbooks are
"compatible mode" or if they are both native mode then Copy and Paste bring
along column widths. However when performing a mixed mode Copy and Paste
the column widths aren't copied.

This sure seems like a bug to me. I just finished spending a couple of
hours trying to convince MS support that this was a problem but I don't
think I got anywhere.

What do the experts in this group think?

TIA,

josh