Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problem with Vlookup

Hi all, i have done a normal Vlookup from one workbook to another but it
returns incorrect results ?? I select the part number 8063882 and it
returns info for 8036553 ???
Can anybody shed some light on this ??
p.s.
The format is the same

Les Stout

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi all, i have done a normal Vlookup from one workbook to another but it
returns incorrect results ?? I select the part number 8036682 and it
returns info for 8036553 ???
Can anybody shed some light on this ??
p.s.
The format is the same

SORRY FIRST NUMBER WAS WRONG

Les Stout

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 20 Apr, 12:57, Les Stout wrote:
Hi all, i have done a normal Vlookup from one workbook to another but it
returns incorrect results ?? I select the part number 8036682 and it
returns info for 8036553 ???
Can anybody shed some light on this ??
p.s.
The format is the same

SORRY FIRST NUMBER WAS WRONG

Les Stout

*** Sent via Developersdexhttp://www.developersdex.com***

Les,

The table must be sorted in ascending order AND to get an exact match
the Range_Lookup must be entered as FALSE

Regards

Michael Beckinsale

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Les,

It would be helpful if you also posted your actual formula...

My guess is that your data range is not sorted and either you didn't pass a
4th parameter to the VLOOKUP or you did pass a 4th parameter but it was set
to TRUE. Try setting the 4th parameter to FALSE...

From Excel Help
-------------
VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,ran ge_lookup)

If range_lookup is TRUE, the values in the first column of table_array must
be placed in ascending order: ..., -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, ..., A-Z, FALSE, TRUE;
otherwise VLOOKUP may not give the correct value. If range_lookup is FALSE,
table_array does not need to be sorted.

If VLOOKUP can't find lookup_value, and range_lookup is TRUE, it uses the
largest value that is less than or equal to lookup_value.

If lookup_value is smaller than the smallest value in the first column of
table_array, VLOOKUP returns the #N/A error value.

If VLOOKUP can't find lookup_value, and range_lookup is FALSE, VLOOKUP
returns the #N/A value.
-------------

--
Hope that helps.

Vergel Adriano

"Les Stout" wrote:

Hi all, i have done a normal Vlookup from one workbook to another but it
returns incorrect results ?? I select the part number 8036682 and it
returns info for 8036553 ???
Can anybody shed some light on this ??
p.s.
The format is the same

SORRY FIRST NUMBER WAS WRONG

Les Stout

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, my problem was the False on the end... :-)

Les Stout