Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default VLOOKUP problem

I have a spreadsheet that uses this simple VLOOKUP formula:

=VLOOKUP(C6,vlookupjulychg,2,0)

The vlookupjulychg range refers to a table that originates from a report
downloaded from my mainframe. This formula returns a #N/A error. If I
retype the number that is being looked up, the formula works correctly. The
lookup column is an alpha-numeric column. That makes me think it's a
formatting issue, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a monthly process, so manual
entry is not my first choice.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Example of what you type when it works?

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com

"Ravenbear" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that uses this simple VLOOKUP formula:

=VLOOKUP(C6,vlookupjulychg,2,0)

The vlookupjulychg range refers to a table that originates from a report
downloaded from my mainframe. This formula returns a #N/A error. If I
retype the number that is being looked up, the formula works correctly.
The
lookup column is an alpha-numeric column. That makes me think it's a
formatting issue, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a monthly process, so
manual
entry is not my first choice.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is that what you type as the lookup value or is that what you type into the
column you are trying to find the value in?

I assume it is the latter, then most likely you have hidden characters in
the import, you can try

=VLOOKUP(C6,TRIM(vlookupjulychg),2,0)

entered with ctrl + shift & enter, if that doesn't work I would suggest a
macro

will remove all extra characters, same web site has instructions on how to
install and run macros, you could just attach the macro to a button, select
the import and run the macro after each import

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com